1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

substitutes for rawhide???

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Otto's mom, Jul 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raynas mom

Raynas mom Completely Boxer Crazy

Bailey and Riley's Mom- that is great that they are ordering them for you....we just bought Rayna another box....she loves them...and the best part is I can eat my ice cream in peace.....because she has her own :LOL:

appicon ....for the nice store to order them for you

2. Aimee

Aimee Boxer Insane

WARNING WARNING WARNING

We buy marrow bones at the grocery store and feed them to our crew too however I made the mistake of letting them chew on them for hours one day and boy did it give them the runs..YUCK!! All 3 had the runs for over a day from this. Not fun. Just thought I would add that the marrow bones are great but only in moderation ;)

3. gidget1

gidget1 Completely Boxer Crazy

What are Frosty Paws?:)

4. Bailey and Riley's Mom

Bailey and Riley's Mom Super Boxer

Frosty Paws are doggie ice cream, it's made by Dryers. I can't wait untill my order of it comes in!!

5. Aimee

Aimee Boxer Insane

I just placed an order for bull stixs and greenie's for my crew. $72.00!! Shipping was steep :eek: How long before I get them??

6. goldfishpal

goldfishpal Guest

Marta isn't big into rawhides unless they have flavoring on them. She isn't much of a chewer. I got greenies for her teeth and bad breath and she loves them! They work great and she actually goes nuts working on those! They have no plastics or anything bad like nylabones do and they seem safer too vs. rawhides, etc. Their main site is:
    www.kissablepets.com

7. Barron's mom

Barron's mom Completely Boxer Crazy

Barron was once on Nutro Lamb and Rice and experienced some of the problems you are describing. Sometimes his stools were firm, and other times very fluid-like; they were never consistent!

8. Q'sMom

Q'sMom Boxer Buddy

Quincy wanted me to add his two cents:

On the subject of bullstix...he prefers to carry them around in his mouth in a cigar fashion. They don't last that long but definitely smell better than those horribly stinky hooves. Those give him jerky breath. Another plus with the bullstix is that they don't stain furniture or carpet (to my knowledge).

On the subject of knuckle bones...he loves the smoked, meaty ones. They also comfort his dear mother (she's a science teacher and it not fond of unplanned bacterial cultures). These last a long time and present a low risk choking hazard. He has chewed the end off of a big bone and exposed the inner cavity which is a great place to hide a little cream cheese or peanut butter to add to the fun.

On the subject of pig ears...nice snack but where's the rest of it?? To him they are like me with a potato chip.

If you have an aggressive chewer, like Quincy, the bullstix are an expensive chew. Even though they are far and away his favorite, he only gets one per week. It will only last him two days max...and those are the 12 inch ones!! My animal supply here charges $3.69 a piece.

9. Greta's Mom

Greta's Mom Boxer Pal

not all bullstixs are the same!

I just talked with the person I buy most of my dog food and treats from. I had noticed that my dog didn't like the bullstixs I bought at the big pet supply place as much as she like the ones I bought at my local independent store. She told me that some companies use FORMALDIHYE to dry them. Make sure you ask if they are sun dried!

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Boxer Insane

My guys love real marrow bones from the butcher or meat counter. Raw hide once in awhile, i take them away when they get soft and let them harden up again. don't like pigs ears, heard too many stories about them, shud always make sure you wash your hands well after handling them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.