1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

substitutes for rawhide???

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Otto's mom, Jul 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarilynP

MarilynP Boxer Buddy

So THAT'S what a bullstix is! Thanks for the info nanabear. I do have one question, is there a choking hazard? (no pun intended):eek:
    Mar
    Nayla- "I don't know if I'm ready for a bullstix" brindle girl

2. Carla

Carla Boxer Buddy

My boy Cassius was also having stomach trouble when he was a young pup everyone said it was the rawhide so I stopped giving it to him and switched to pigs ears they started making him gain weight and he was still having stomach trouble he was also eating nuttro max lamb I swithched to pedigree and he stopped vomiting instantly so maybe its the nuttro and not the rawhide Cassius chew rawhide regularly and is now fine!!!

~Carla~

3. ninersneal

ninersneal Super Boxer

I think I'm gonna hurl And i was grossed out over pigs ears!
    Roxanne - "Never gonna have a bullstix in this house" brindle girl

Last edited: Jul 17, 2001
  4. boxerprincess

boxerprincess Super Boxer

Do bullstix stink when they are chewed on?

We are new to the world of bullstix...was I ever amused by the petextras site though. :)

Princess LOVES to chew on chew hooves. She's crazy about them...BUT they STINK and she leaves the sharp ends everywhere to be stepped on. They are also her most favorite treat to bring to bed and chew. Charming. :) They are soon to be no more. :)

We have recently tried a huge rawhide bone which she now delights in carrying all around the house. She also likes nylabones, but not on a regular basis...too bad - they don't stink!

So before I go and purchase bullstix (and fib about what they are made of!) - do they stink?

5. nanabear

nanabear Banned

They don't stink.....I don't think. I have only gotten them a couple of times. They don't last all that long though - probably more like a child with a sucker, lasts longer than a candy bar. I just don't like it if I have to pick it up though......they get slimey:eek:

I didn't post the most direct link to Bulstix - this should take you to the direct link.

http://www.petextras.com/petextras/bullstix.html

6. Lisa M

Lisa M Completely Boxer Crazy

Thanks for the link nanabear, I just ordered 10 of the bull stix. (standard should be quite long enough I think!)

I can't wait to see Casper eating it, he used to be very funny with a strip of raw hide, with his little teeth they last forever, but they do give him stomach problems so they have been banned here.

He would get a rawhide strip and chew on the end until it got really rubbery - then he would walk around with it in his mouth and shake it from side to side as if he was trying to break it's neck. His lips would go flying and his ears would be flapping! Glenn and I would just sit there laughing hysterically which seemed to make him do it even more.

7. BXR MOM

BXR MOM Boxer Booster

The bullsticks stink some, usually when they are brand new, but nothing like the hooves. I am sure like any dog the chew time can vary but my girls actually take quite a long time to chew them. A box of 10 can last us 6-8 weeks - Unlike the pig's ears that are gone in minutes. I usually throw them away when they are small enough to fit in their mouth. My girls will usually chew away when they are brand new and then leave them for a few days only to pick them up later. We have quite a few 1/2 eaten ones lying around that eventually get snatched up.

8. Otto's mom

Otto's mom Guest

I haven't seen anyone post anything about knuckle bones.

Has anyone tried knuckbones?? I saw them at Petsmart. They are wrapped in tight plastic. They look really greasy and nasty. :eek:

Cheryl & Otto
    www.geocities.com/ottobiography

9. Raynas mom

Raynas mom Completely Boxer Crazy

We just gave Rayna the real marrow bones from the grocery store.....and Rayna loved it....hrs of her trying to get the marrow out of the bone......i keep checking the bone to make sure its safe and it still looks new......Are these bones better than the raw hide... It seems to be better to me....and we got 2 big ones for under 1$ appicon

10. Bailey and Riley's Mom

Bailey and Riley's Mom Super Boxer

Marrow bones are really good for dogs because even if they break a little off they can still digest uncooked bone. It is the cooked or smoked bones that are bad (ex. Knuckle bones from petsmart) try the knuckel bones from the butcher, they are much cheeper too.
    By the way, I found out that our local grocery store special orders for free, so i am so excited to be getting three boxes of Frosty Paws. I was the one freaking out because none of our stores carried it, I am much better now :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.