1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

substitutes for rawhide???

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Otto's mom, Jul 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JazznChase

JazznChase Boxer Insane

I stopped giving mine pig ears too...I like to give mine the nylabones that are flavored. (cheese, peanut butter, bacon) they are digestable and when they chew them-they dont crumble and make a mess. Also, they love greenies!:D

2. HELENE

HELENE Boxer Insane

potato bones.

Lisa M, what do you do when all that is left of the Potato Bones is one end knob? I am afraid that Sergeant will swallow it and choke. How does Casper deal with it? I got a cheese-flavoured one, a garlic flavoured one and one other, that is pink, I don't know what flavour that one is.

3. Otto's mom

Otto's mom Guest

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try them. I threw out all his nasty chewed up rawhides today. Hopefully his stomach problems will end.

Just one question. What are greenies?

4. joanna

joanna Boxer Booster

I have had great success with Booda Velvet bones made of cornstarch, sold at petsmart and at DRS Smith and Foster on line.
    They don't make a mess like most other chews do and Maggie will take a few days to go through a large rather than a few minutes as with ears. She gets ears as well and lamb lungs which she absolutly adores. Lamb lungs only last a minute or two but they are a great non-chemical, non-additive, non-colored but natural treat.
    If you to DrsmithandFoster.com you will find the greenies there as well..love that site.

5. Bailey and Riley's Mom

Bailey and Riley's Mom Super Boxer

I give my two girls soup bones. Raw soup bones are a challenge because they try to get all the marrow out of the middle. The vet said these are fine and actually really good for dogs, teeth sharpening, nutrition, etc. I just get them at the grocery store they usually come in a two pack in the meat dept and they are fairly cheap. I give them to our girl frozen, it is a little more of a challenge and it keeps them cool.

6. Raynas mom

Raynas mom Completely Boxer Crazy

Thanks for the great options .....im also not giving Rayna rawhide any more it also upsets her tummy :(

Im going to try the butcher bones too....i hear they were bad so i didnt try them.....but it sounds like they should be fine.....

thanks again everyone....ohhh i love site its so helpfull!!

7. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

8. Lisa M

Lisa M Completely Boxer Crazy

Helene,

There are two different end nub methods in the house:

Casper takes a long time to finish his potato bones, he eats them over several days whereas Sumi will eat hers much faster. He has those tiny boxer teeth. I only let them have any type of bone when we are watching tv or in the office working so I can keep a close eye on them.

When they get small Casper manages to break his Potato bones into pieces they are not as hard as real bones are. Then when he does that, I'll take away any of the chunks that are too big for him.

Sumi is terrible once it gets to the end nub she turns it into a toy and starts playing with it like it is a ball, chasing it around the house. When she stops doing that she'll start trying to eat it by putting it in her mouth and tilting her head back - so as soon as I see it go from toy to mouth again, I take it away and throw that last part out.

At which point Sumi starts trying to steal the rest of Casper's bone from him - another story :LOL:

9. MarilynP

MarilynP Boxer Buddy

What's a greenie and what's a bullstix? I don't think I've seen them at the store.
    Thanks, Mar
    Nayla-will chew anything brindle baby

10. nanabear

nanabear Banned

You can read a funny description of Bullstix here - make sure you scroll down to 18 inches and "FULL" Bullstix. You should have seen my husband's eyes the first time I pulled one out for Mack and he asked "What's that?"

http://www.petextras.com/petextras/bullstix.html:e

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.