1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

substitutes for rawhide???

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Otto's mom, Jul 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otto's mom

Otto's mom Guest

I am looking for a substitute for rawhide. Otto, 14 mos, loves to chew these compressed bones but I have heard alot of negatives (after researching the boxer board of course :) )

He has been having bouts of diarrhea and upset stomach and I am ready to point the finger at the compressed rawhide he chews on. (just so you know he is being fed Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice adult formula so I don't think it's the food?).

He loves to chew. What else can I give him besides rawhide? Is there anything else your boxers go completely nuts for?

2. STROKER

STROKER Boxer Pal

THE FAVORITE OF OUR BOXERS ARE PIG EARS! THERE ARE ALSO COW EARS, LAMBS EARS, AND MUSCLE CHEWS.

NONE OF THEM CONTAIN ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS OR BINDERS! YOU CAN FIND THE PIG EARS AT MOST PLACES THAT SELL PET SUPPLIES, OR THERE IS A WEB SITE THAT HANDLES A WIDE VARIETY OF CHEWIES INCLUDING THE LAMB'S EARS, COW'S EARS, AND EVEN "MUSCLE CHEWS".

THE NAME OF THE COMPANY & WEB SITE ARE THE SAME (EXCEPT FOR THE www.) HERE'S THE URL FOR ONLINE SHOPPING AND I'M SURE THAT YOU CAN REQUEST A CATOLOGUE THERE ALSO.

www.DrsFosterSmith.com

I'M SURE THAT OTTO WILL LOVE THEM! WE GOT THE PIG EAR STRIPS FOR OUR PUPPIES THAT ARE GOING ON 8 WEEKS OLD AND THEY LOVE 'EM!

www.DrsFosterSmith.com

3. MarilynP

MarilynP Boxer Buddy

Hi,
    I stopped giving Nayla pig ears after she nearly choked on a large piece that she had torn off. Does anyone know where I can buy chopped and reformed pig ears, something like the "roar hide" bones by nylabone?
    Thanks, marilyn
    Nayla-brindle girl

4. pep0987

pep0987 Super Boxer

We give Baiey nylabones and Stuff animals,also he has a blakent.You may find lots of toys a Wal-mart, petsmart, and DRSfosterand Smith

5. STROKER

STROKER Boxer Pal

YES MARILYN, YOU ARE RIGHT, AND I AM VERY SORRY FOR NOT ADDING A WARNING, AS I HAVE DONE THIS FOR SO MANY YEARS NOW THAT IT'S JUST SECOND NATURE FOR ME. I DO HAND PICK ALL OF MY PIG EARS.

WHAT I LOOK FOR IN THEM IS:

1_ A LOT OF CARTILAGE AT THE BASE.

2_ A HIGH "GREASE CONTENT"

3_ THAT THEY ARE THICKER THAN MOST AT THE TIP OF THE EAR.

4_ THAT THEY DON'T SOUND "HOLLOW OR LITE" WHEN YOU TAP THEM WITH YOUR FINGERNAILS.

5_ AN OVER ALL DARK APPEARANCE, NOT ONE THAT HAS LIGHTER COLORED AREAS ON IT.

A LOT OF CARTILAGE AT THE BASE USUALLY MEANS THEY ARE "GREASY" AND NOT DRIED OUT, PLUS IT'S A LITTLE MORE OF A CHALLENGE TO CHEW UP.

AGAIN, THE GREASE MAKES THEM FIRMER AND MUCH MORE UNLIKELY TO TEAR OR FLAKE OFF PIECES THAT CAN MAKE YOUR DOG CHOKE, EVEN IF ONLY A LITTLE

THICKER AT THE TIP MEANS HARDER TO SHREAD OR TEAR.

SOUNDING HOLLOW OR LITE MEANS THAT THEY ARE DRIED OUT AND BRITTLE.

THE DARK APPEARANCE MEANS THEY ARE SOLID AND WILL MAKE FOR "MORE CHEWING SATISFACTION", ONE WITH LIGHT COLORED AREAS MEANS THAT THEY'RE THIN OR BRITTLE, MAYBE EVEN GOT "BOILED" A BIT IN THE PROCESS MAKING THEM FLAKE WHEN CHEWED ON, AND THAT'S NOT A GOOD THING.

IF YOU LOOK FOR THE ABOVE MENTIONED CHECKS WHEN BUYING THEM YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE THE CHOKING HAZZARDS THAT YOU MENTIONED.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2001
  6. Lisa M

Lisa M Completely Boxer Crazy

Casper loves potato bones. They sell them at petsmart. They are made from potato starch and come in different flavors. Mine get the cheese flavor since they like it and it closely matches the color of the rug they like to eat them on :LOL:

7. gidget1

gidget1 Completely Boxer Crazy

Gidget loves the Nylabones and rope chew toys. I got a rope chew toy at Wal-Mart in the shape of a ball. She loves to throw it around then lay down to chew on it. Just check them every now and then for loose threads.

8. nanabear

nanabear Banned

Have you heard of Bullstix, pizzles or dickies?
    Mack loves them - but they are kinda expensive. You can read about them here - make sure you scroll all the way down to the Bullstix 18 and the Bullstix "Full"..........it's funny.:eek:

9. BXR MOM

BXR MOM Boxer Booster

Billstixs

My girls love bullstixs. I order them from petextras.com It takes my girls about 6-8 weeks to go through a box of 10. I order the 12 inch ones. I have seeen them in local pet stores but they are cheaper online.

10. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

My Maggie also had stomach problems with Rawhide so, I stopped giving her rawhide. I now give them bullstix, greenies and I go to the butcher and get real marrow bones. They absolutely LOVE real bones. You can also get real marrow bones from some petstores such as Drs. Smith & Foster.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.