1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stubborn Pup...Frustrated Mom

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by Kona Bean, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kona Bean

Kona Bean Boxer Pal

My 11 week pup Kona is quite stubborn when it comes to walking on the leash. We live in an apartment so when he has to go to the bathroom we walk him out our door, down the hall and out another door to the outside. He walks great with me when going out and in. But when I try to walk him about a block to the trash area in my complex he won't walk. He just sits.... or will lay down. and he's often obsessed with EVERYTHING on the ground. I've always had visions of taking my dog for a nice long walk....(when he's old enough to do that) but my fear is that he will never walk well! Also, I worry about his exercise. Is playing with toys and occasional run outside with a soccer ball (if hes not too busy sniffing the grass) enough? How do I exercise him if he won't walk?? any and all advice would be great....thanks!

Christine

2. fredsmum

fredsmum Boxer Buddy

fred is exactley the same.... i couldnt wait to be able to take him out and when the day i arrived there i was with lead in hand full of great expectations of this cute little fella being all excited about exploring the outside world... but no.... we did manage to get round the block, but in all fairness me carrying him didnt really count as a walk lol
    its been 2 weeks now and he is getting better, he still suddenly stops dead and point blank refuses to move.. but some very high pitched persuading and a jingle of my house keys and he eventually carrys on... at least i dont have to worry abouy being pulled by him,... i tried treats as a lure to start with, ( he is food oriontated) but he would sit everytime he smelt them and try all his tricks, paw, down, spin lol.... so that was a no go, but then out of pure luck my daughter was with us and she was jingling my keys and fred was almost hypnotised! so now if he stops, jingle jingle infront of him and off we go,.... im sure the neighbours think we're nuts lol x

3. BostonGeorge

BostonGeorge Super Boxer

Kona is still a baby! Structured walks will come with time. If he is doing ok with the leash then I wouldn't worry about anything. Take your pup out for a short little outing. I remember most puppy play with Boston came from chasing balls in the apartment or playing hide and seek.

I wouldn't worry much...just remember...he is still a baby!!

4. xJazerx

xJazerx Super Boxer

Dante did the same thing at first. I carried him around, when I didn't have the patience to wait for him. lol.

Don't worry. With age, comes energy... soon he will be pulling you around the block instead of you trying to pull him around ;) haha

5. elgerdes

elgerdes Completely Boxer Crazy

Sounds weird, but I can't wait for that time with Zoe! I know she is a puppy, but I'm looking forward to having an exercise partner :) Burn that boxer energy!

6. Kona Bean

Kona Bean Boxer Pal

Thanks!

Thank you all for your words of encouragement! My husband and I tried a walk around the block! And it was the best walk yet! not perfect but better! He tends to walk better with the two of us there! I'm patiently waiting until the day he walks like a good boy!!!!

7. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

8. necitony

necitony Boxer Pal

i guess i got lucky...Laila lves walking on the leash and even when i take her off leash at the park she still walks by me like she still has it on...hopefully this passes soon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.