1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stray puppy: What breed is it? Collie mix? (PIC)

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by peanutbutter, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peanutbutter

peanutbutter Boxer Buddy

Terriedogs, just for you, I'll upload her pics to my album in just a minute. :)

I still have no claims on her & I've checked all the lost ads (petfinder, online local newspapers, craigslist) almost daily.
    I don't know about legalities, but as far as I'm concerned Oreo is part of our family now.

I'll have to get some better pics of her this weekend... she's a sweetheart. She's a pretty calm puppy, but she loves to play with Daisy and me when we get going. Once she starts playing she doesn't stop until she exhausts herself. She isn't really a nipper, she potties outside wonderfully, she's great with my kids... only thing that worries me is she likes to dig.

I've never had 2 dogs at the same time before... any tips would be appreciated. What can I do to help them both of them Stay friends/prevent jealousy? Is it okay if I feed them both in the kitchen together at the same time? Tips on teaching them to take leashed walks together? (My 4yo son often goes with us & I have to hold his hand most of the time).

2. peanutbutter

peanutbutter Boxer Buddy

Done, I posted her pics in the "Other Pets" Gallery... but they have to be reviewed by a mod before they'll be 'up'.

3. nalabear

nalabear Super Boxer

Oreo looks so much happier now. I am so glad you found her. She is adorable and daisy seems just as happy to have her around. The pics were great thank you for sharing.

4. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Treat them equally as much as possible, and reward only GOOD behavior. For example, don't let them push in front of one another for your attention -- reward the dog who is sits patiently. This will probably mean that the older dog will be getting attention first until the pup is better trained, but this is also a great way for her to learn. :)

Make sure they each have their own space -- they should each have their own bed, crate, and food bowl (water is fine to share).

Definitely feed them at the same time, but in separate areas of the kitchen. For Creek and Caney I make them sit and stay on the rug right outside the kitchen while I prepare their bowls on the counter and then set the bowls on the floor each in their separate eating spots, and they wait for me to say "OK" before running to their bowl to eat. :) That way no one gets fed "first" or "last" and their bowls are on opposite facing walls so that they don't face each other while they eat.

You'll probably want to spend some one-on-one time leash walking the puppy so that you can focus on training her. I don't know what your walks are like now but puppy needs to learn leash manners, and now is the time to teach it. Any bad behaviors (however cute they may be right now) you let slide now will be harder to break her of later on, so keep that in mind when she pulls, bites on the leash, starts wrestling with Daisy, etc.

5. Terriedogs

Terriedogs Boxer Buddy

Oh my gosh, she's a smooth coat border collie

6. Terriedogs

Terriedogs Boxer Buddy

Peanutbutter said: She plays so cute, although she is a little ankle biter.

Yep! Border collie. I used to have a female border collie. She was a great dog. She'd herd the kids though. My son used to scream, "Mom! She's herding me again"

Another time I will never forget was when we were getting a granite counter top in our bathroom. I locked the dogs up so they wouldn't be in the way. One of the guys was there all day and never spoke a word of english. Just spanish. They left and I let the dogs back in. Well, this spanish guy left something in the house and came back to get it. He took one step in the house and Keisha was herding him. While she was herding him, I heard the first english I'd ever heard from him. He screamed, "OH SH*T!" She herded that man into the corner and then just sat there looking at him. I couldn't help him because I was doubled over laughing my @ss off!

Poor man, it scared that bad english word right out of him.

7. samsons

samsons Boxer Insane

collies

WOULD LOVE TO SAY SOMETHING COOL ... BUT TO BUSY LAUGHING SO HARD I AM ABOUT TO PEE ...............................

just have a really really cool pick of that day in ur kitchen ... my first love was a black collie , and yup, been herded , BUT, she has also pulled wagons for my barbies & miniature horses ( plastic ) and "stalked" evil creatures for me ... AKA neighbor boys .... :) :) :) :P)

ANOTHER great breed to HELP u raise the children !!! congrats on ur new addition !!

8. boxedin

boxedin Boxer Buddy

Border Collie/Boxer

I have a Border Collie AND a Boxer and your little rescue dog looks like a cross between Boxer and certainly border collie. That's my guess. She's a cute little darling.

9. peanutbutter

peanutbutter Boxer Buddy

Got a few new pics of Oreo... Shes about 14wks (estimated, she still hasn't started loosing her puppy teeth so she may be younger). She's gone from 7lbs to 11.15lbs... I think she's growing pretty quick.

I'm starting to see more of the terrier look to her now...

Here she is in her new (slightly too large) harness
    http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/diasmall/OreoHarness.jpg

Probably her best pic so far... it really looks like her.. lazy & spunky at the same time
    http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/diasmall/OreoOct.jpg

Playing w/ big sis
    http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/diasmall/DaisyandOreo.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.