1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Smell

Discussion in 'Rearing puppies' started by EKR16, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EKR16

EKR16 Boxer Booster

I may be completely crazy, but Romie has a very strange smell - not sure whether it's her breath or potty or what. I smelled it this morning when I put her in bed with me & it was enough to turn my stomach. The smell is what I would associate with blood - just a very iron-y, metallic smell. She doesn't have any wounds, nor is she old enough to be going into heat, but the smell is AWFUL!?! Anyone have any idea what the deal is? YUCK!

2. rrrmarie

rrrmarie Boxer Insane

it's probably puppy breath? i didn't like it at first, but, you get use to it.. then you miss it...

that's the only thing that I can think of..

3. EKR16

EKR16 Boxer Booster

Does it smell metallic-ish? I thought puppy breath kinda smelled skunky, but this is really gross smelling? Who knows, maybe sleep deprivation is making me nuts!?! HAHAHAHA

4. pinkpuppy

pinkpuppy Super Boxer

does she have discharge? could be puppy vaginitis - but it shouldn't have an appaling smell.... (don't get me wrong - it's semi gross; but nothing about a puppy can be too gross :) )
    Is it her coat? was she dirty/ muddy? Did she pee on herself? (poor little baby lovicon )

I guess you should figure out if the oudour is constant - and if so, ask her vet about it when you're getting puppy shots :)...

5. EKR16

EKR16 Boxer Booster

I haven't seen anything abnormal in that region, but of course, I haven't really been looking. It could possibly be something on her coat - she has had so many accidents in her crate here recently, maybe she just needs a good bath. I know someone who puts cologne on their boxer b/c they can't stand the smell - is that bad?

I will give her a good bath tonight and keep an eye on her. If it does turn out to be her breath, are there bones or something that will freshen it? Maybe a little Winterfresh gum!?! HAHA J/K

6. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

If it is her breath, then by all means try giving her some raw meaty bones to chew on to keep her teeth clean. Or alternatively start brushing her teeth. Dogs need regular dental care as much as people do ;)

But it couldn't hurt to consult a vet too. Bad breath can be due to teeth/gum problems, but it can also be the result of internal problems/disease. A metallic odour is something a bit on the unusual side, so I think it is something worth asking a vet about.

7. EKR16

EKR16 Boxer Booster

She just went to the vet on Saturday & they checked her mouth then because she is teething. Do their gums bleed when they teeth? Its just so strange - I have a very sensitive nose, but my first thought was of blood. I checked her over to make sure everything was okay, but I didn't think of her mouth?

8. LoveOdin

LoveOdin Boxer Buddy

Puppy breath

When we had first gotten my black lab, his puppy breath was so bad it could definitely make a person gag. He eventually grew out of it and I can't remember if it was metallic-like, but shoo-ee. . . it really smelled bad!

9. tesster

tesster Boxer Insane

I know the EXACT smell you're talking about. I, too, have a very sensitive nose. I can smell everything! Tess gets this from time to time, usually after she's been playing really rough. It smells metallic and like a very specific kind of blood that only women experience. (Trying to be discrete...) I've never pin-pointed what it actually is, though.

I'd avoid perfumes, as boxers can have sensitive skin. My friend put a doggy perfume on her dog and she lost all her hair! :( Give her a good bath and see how she smells after that. You wouldn't belive how much yuck and dirt they hide in those coats!

Let us know what it turns out to be. I've never thought of it as a problem, but maybe it is! Thanks for the alert!

Julie

10. AngelChloe

AngelChloe Banned

I am dealing with the same exact smell with Chloe and for awhile I had no idea what it was..One minute the smell seemed to be coming from her private area and then it seemed to be coming from her mouth..Trust me I gagged quite a few times from it..I had no clue what it was until one morning when she was peeing I seen discharge...We took her to the vet and come to find out its puppy vaginitis..Reason I smelled it coming from her mouth was because she would lick herself down there after coming inside...Her vet said nothing really can be done about it cause its just a puppy thing and hopefully when she gets spayed it will get better...But the smell with Chloe got even worse because she is on a antibiotic and the vet said sometimes certain dogs will get that metallic smell from them also, so Im getting twice the smell here!! lol..But I now give her a little bit of yogurt daily and it seems to help a whole lot! I dont know if any of this helps you any but I know right where you are coming from...Good luck =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.