Still skinny at 17 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega's Mom

Boxer Insane
He has ALWAYS been on the thin side and many people have commented on his weight. I was even chastised by the vet (who suggested I try Pro Plan or Science Diet canned ID). :( I agree he is too thin at only 56.8 pounds but I don't know what to do! He's currently on Nature's Variety Venison at almost 3 3/4 cups a day. I've started to add in Merrick canned but his stools are loose. I've tried just adding more dry but that also results in loose stools. Any other suggestions? I was considering going to Innova EVO Red Meat but I'm afraid the high protein will still be a problem for loose stool? Help please!

Louise501

Boxer Insane
Luka is skinny too, he eats and exercises the same amount as Ruby, I've put it down to him not having fully grown, Ruby is 18 months and actually a lttle plump now.

Mega's Mom

Boxer Insane
Well excercise comes into build as well, so what's his daily excercise plan looking like?

He goes to daycare twice a week and runs around like a loon. On his "off" days, we usually go for 2 or 3 walks per day. I'm going to try cutting back on his dry food and adding a little more canned. I wonder if this would help.

matrok

Completely Boxer Crazy
We have the same problem with Leila. She is so skinny! She is 18 months, about 47 pounds, 23 1/2 inches tall and eats a vet diet kibble of 2 cups twice per day. We still can't get her to put on weight. She has her new BFF, Rugby who is 8 months, 47 pounds but only 21 inches tall and he looks great. They play lots, not a ton of walks, but burn and run the yard and the house intermittently for 4-5 hours per day.

Before Rugby, we finally got Leila to 51 pounds, now she back to 47....we are struggling too. We use to feed her 3 1/2 cups dry and 1/2 cup canned per day. Too much food, soft stools, canned food, soft stools, the additional dry kibble actually helped put a few pounds on her and firm up her stools. I think that it will just take her longer to "slow down" and put the weight on. She grew tall quickly and still has a ton of energy, way more than Rugby and he is the younger of the two...go figure. So, I suggest not adding more canned, but maybe a little more dry or a kong during the day like a "3rd meal," but it won't be at the same feeding as the breakfast and dinner and shouldn't produce soft stools. I use her kibble as a filler with cheese cubes, peanut butter and biscuits.

Good luck and keep up posted.

Ingrid

Boxer Booster
I am not an expert in any way, but I understand that boxers are just very slim/trim dogs in general. I would not worry much, my baby is 15 months and only about 47-48 lbs, and 23 inches. As long as they're getting a good quality food, and the right amount of exercise. (and of course aren't sick) then just wait it out and they'll finish growing in by 2 or 3. :)

tianthai

Completely Boxer Crazy
People tend to tell me that I underfeed my one year old. I think Boxers are supposed to be very slim. Mine is very active, he runs up and down a lot at home, many walks a day (in the park he can run like a looney) and he eats a lot. This is what I consider "if you cannot see the ribs but can feel them", they are fine. I feed him Timberwolf Lamb and Apple and he also gets some home-cooked meal to go on top of his dry food.

Ronin1

Boxer Insane
Ronin was leggy and skinny until about 2 yrs old, then he started to slowly add the weight and fill out. He really didn't stop growing until he was almost 3. :)

Donna1969

Boxer Insane
Ohh Merideth, stop picking on poor Corni!! My Carson isn't much heavier than Corni, at his year check up he weighed in at 62 lbs.

Don't forget they are still "pups" and will grow out until about 18 months +. Carson is a lanky looking lad too :) Echo on the other hand is built like a short squat tank :LOL:

(Tell Corni that Carson says hello)

Biff

Boxer Insane
Have you any recent full body pics? He looks great in the pic taken in February, but can't really see his body. Biff is on the slim side too (My DD says he looks anorexic!!!! cheek! :eek:) - but he's still lots of growing to do. I'd make rather have thin on the skinny side than fat :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.