Still not fully potty trained

Linda/NJ

Boxer Insane
I forget when my previous two were fully trained. Ruby is 7 months. Just when you think she is fully potty trained then a pee accident in house. I’m home 24/7 and she goes out a lot to potty. She can hold it 7 hrs over night and if we are out long. Is this normal to have an occasional accident at 7 months? I am disgusted because she really doesn’t let us know although if she stares at back door than I know. Bells did not work with her, she barked at them constantly. These accidents happen in my husbands care, he may not be watching. So maybe 2 a month now.

rrboxer

Completely Boxer Crazy
I forget when my previous two were fully trained. Ruby is 7 months. Just when you think she is fully potty trained then a pee accident in house. I’m home 24/7 and she goes out a lot to potty. She can hold it 7 hrs over night and if we are out long. Is this normal to have an occasional accident at 7 months? I am disgusted because she really doesn’t let us know although if she stares at back door than I know. Bells did not work with her, she barked at them constantly. These accidents happen in my husbands care, he may not be watching. So maybe 2 a month now.
That happened with us when training my male boxer Bishop he took longer to potty train but it was our fault. I was home 24/7 with him and I would get distracted and not pay attention so we had a few accidents at 6 months for him but he got better because I was more vigilant and took him out more. Most of the time he would go to our sliding door and paw it to get out so I knew he needed to go. So I had to pay attention to him or be aware of the timing of his last pee visit outside. I remember I took him out 6 times in 1 hour(he was younger than 6 months at this time) and then we came back in and I turn around and he peed inside! I was flabbergasted. I took him to the vet thinking maybe he had a UTI but vet said, no the male dogs never completely empty their bladder so he would need to go out alot more while potty training. So, I took him out more and when I couldn't watch him he was in the crate. I think he was 8 months when he really was reliable. Take heart.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like your husband is not paying attention. Maybe get him to set a timer ( on his phone) to remind him to take her out on a regular basis.
Eventually she will get it, especially if you she know she will be taken out when the timer goes off. Hopefully she will eventually get.
Good luck!

Linda/NJ

Boxer Insane
Thanks. I wonder if she doesn’t fully empty sometimes rushes and gets preoccupied out there...I’m sure it’ll get better. Told her no access to rest of house until she is. We have a baby gate and she hates it. Lol

Linda/NJ

Boxer Insane
Still an issue.... once in awhile maybe twice a month..... she’ll pee inside Does not let us know. The bell system did not work because she just rings and constantly barked at it. So I have to just take he out frequently. Maybe I’m giving too much water? not measuring it. So hopefully she’ll get it by the 1 yr mark. 9 months today.

rrboxer

Completely Boxer Crazy
Still an issue.... once in awhile maybe twice a month..... she’ll pee inside Does not let us know. The bell system did not work because she just rings and constantly barked at it. So I have to just take he out frequently. Maybe I’m giving too much water? not measuring it. So hopefully she’ll get it by the 1 yr mark. 9 months today.
Just a thought... what do you use to clean up the pee puddle? Maybe she is drawn to the smell. When we had pee accidents we blotted up pee then we sprayed "The Equalizer" it neutralizes the urine. My boxer girl goes to day camp 2 x a week and after she started going I noticed she got sloppy about going to the back door to pee. Or maybe I just didn't notice but I had to be more vigilant with when was last time she peed. I just take her out about every 3 hours which means I have to write down on our dry eraser board what time she pees so I can remember to take her out in 3 hours. Also, for some reason I hate to crate Autumn even though she is fine in her crate and crate trained and when I can't watch her or be aware of her I have started to put her in her crate so we don't have accidents. Keep working at it she'll get it.

Linda/NJ

Boxer Insane
Just a thought... what do you use to clean up the pee puddle? Maybe she is drawn to the smell. When we had pee accidents we blotted up pee then we sprayed "The Equalizer" it neutralizes the urine. My boxer girl goes to day camp 2 x a week and after she started going I noticed she got sloppy about going to the back door to pee. Or maybe I just didn't notice but I had to be more vigilant with when was last time she peed. I just take her out about every 3 hours which means I have to write down on our dry eraser board what time she pees so I can remember to take her out in 3 hours. Also, for some reason I hate to crate Autumn even though she is fine in her crate and crate trained and when I can't watch her or be aware of her I have started to put her in her crate so we don't have accidents. Keep working at it she'll get it.
Thanks for your response. I use Nature’s miracle spray. After I do that. All is dry I clean floor with mr. Clean maybe that is a no no. Yes I will have to crate more when I absolutely can’t watch her. I hope so it’ll get better. My other gals were already trained by now....

rrboxer

Completely Boxer Crazy
I hear you it took longer to house train my male boxer Bishop. Each boxer is different and has their own unique qualities just like people - my dear husband keeps reminding me . Y'all will get there. Thank you for posting and keeping us updated.