1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stealing toys!

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by RileyMom, Oct 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RileyMom

RileyMom Boxer Booster

I am due to have my first skin kid on Halloween. We have had two baby showers and gotten some really great things, which we are beginning to put into the nursery.

My problem is this: Riley keep sneaking into the nursery to sniff EVERYTHING, and I don't have a problem with the sniffing, but he's gotten a little bolder lately and last night he went in and stole one of the baby toys (out of a gift bag) and I don't know the best way to handle this.

When I told him he couldn't have it, and tried to get it back from him, he thought it was a game of keep away 9and I'm not as mobile as I used to be!).

I am afraid he's going to have some major "sharing" issues and issues with what's hos and not his when the baby comes!

What should I do? I don't want the nursery to be off limits to him, but I don't want him to think those are HIS toys, either!

And, of course, I don't want him thinking that the baby itself is a new "squeaky toy" either! ;)

2. pep0987

pep0987 Super Boxer

Riley mom, how do I say this. I still have that problem. JOe2 is 4 and Gage is 3 Bailey has always love there toys over his own. You might have to make the room offlimits unless you are in there with him.Has your boxer been around babies. This is very improtant beacuse babies cry, scream , and some dogs can not handle it, it is better to find out before , then later. I have a gate up in my boys room. That way Bailey can see, what is going on , but can't steal toys. Congrats on the baby.

3. RileyMom

RileyMom Boxer Booster

RATS! I was afraid of that! But thanks for the reply.

Riley has been around our relatives' young children (toddler to 10 years old) fairly often, but not little babies. HE has been the baby in the household and at family gatherings. He's used to getting lots of attention -- and lots of toys.

We'll just do our best and see what happens. We can always buy more toys, and we'll try the gate if necessary. I really hope he'll do well and that he and the baby will become great friends.

4. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Here is something you can try:

Before beginning, prepare a shake can (soda can with pennies in the bottom). A plant spayer could also be used, but is more difficult to "hide."

Set about 10 toys around the house in a room. Six of them should be the dog's toys, or other appropriate chewing toys for the dog. The other items should be the child's toys or inappropriate items which the dog likes to chew.

Position yourself so you can watch the dog as he moves around the room. Let the dog into the room and don't say or do anything. Let him sniff each of the objects and roam around the room. As he touches anyh of the inappropriate items on the floor, shake the can loudly to frighten the dog away from that particular toy or object. Make sure the dog does not see you shake the can. (Do it behind your back. The noise should come from "God.") You want the scary noise to be associated with touching an inappropriate object rather than be associated with you.

As soon as the dog touches or sniffs an APPROPRIATE item, reward and praise as you would in any training regime. Let the dog know in no uncertain terms that this is correct behavior and a behavior that makes you very happy.

Do this exercise several times a day (2 or 3) and continue consistently for two to three weeks, in different rooms of the house and be sure to vary the items used. If the dog chews socks or shoes, be sure to include those in the "inappropriate" items left on the floor.

After the dog has mastered this and knows the difference between chewable items and inappropriate items to chew, you can step up the challenge some by getting the dog excited (like in play) before bringing him into the room. If a dog is excited, he is likely to "forget" his training and you will need to reinforce it (just as before - shake can and/or reward). Also, you need to keep track of the items which the dog had trouble "leaving" and keep using those items in your work.

Also you can try and let the dog into a room you are NOT in (but can see his actions in) and see how he does on his own in a room, without you in it.

Hope these tips help.

5. Tucker's_mom

Tucker's_mom Super Boxer

Halloween babies

RileyMom,

This isn't about the toy issue since Tucker is our only baby (so far) and any toy he wants he can have at this point.

I just noticed that your baby is due on Halloween. My little brother was also born on Halloween. My dad thought it would be funny to draw a jack-o-lantern on my mom's big round tummy with a permanent marker and just her luck, she went into labor on Halloween. The nurses all got a big kick out of her tummy :D since she couldn't figure out how to wash it off before she had to go to the hospital. I also had him convinced growing up that he was a goblin left behind by the Great Pumpkin and that's why his birthday is Halloween, that's the day we found him :D. Poor guy must've been hard growing up with a mean sister :D:D!!

Congratulations on your baby and keep your husband away from the permanent markers!!

6. RileyMom

RileyMom Boxer Booster

Dan,
    Thanks for the hints! I will give this a try. Actually, I'll print this out and make my husband do it. I don't have as much energy these days as I used to! ;)

Andrea,
    My husband and your dad must be cut from the same mold! He's already said he'd like to paint a jack-o-lantern face on my belly and that I should answer the door for trick-or-treaters that way!
    ...I will take your suggestion and hide the markers! :)

7. Moonshadow

Moonshadow Super Boxer

GREAT IDEAS DAN!!!

I'm not having any more kids, but I have lots of non-chewable items that are getting chewed by the 5 month old and the rescue. I will be trying your training methods.

As I have said before, I wish you lived closer so that you could train my dogs!

Good luck RileyMom. Dan has lots of training knowledge and from what I have heard two great dogs. I'm sure that once the baby is here Riley will be much too fascinated with the baby to be worrying you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.