Starting Raw Feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

nalabear

Super Boxer
I have finally convinced my dh to put our pups and kitty on a raw diet appicon

So a few questions.

1) both my pups are 70# would one chicken quarter twice a day be enough to start with or to much?

2) I have read to feed one meat for 3-4 weeks before adding a different meat. I have also read only about a week per meat which is best?

3) Fasting, in my searching I read fasting once a week is good and just to make up for the missed meal the rest of the week. Does anyone do this and is it necessary?

4) Beef, what are some good beef cuts that would be good for the second phase of meat introduction?

5) Supplements, Because we are going raw should we still give probiotics, fish oil, etc....?

So much to learn :) Thank you all so much for your help.

Stub

Completely Boxer Crazy
1) Pretty much depends on your dogs metabolisms. Chicken quarters are pretty bony so it might not be enough calories depending on their activity levels. You might want to add a little breast meat to one of the meals for extra boneless meat.

2) This depends entirely on how well they take to the new diet. My Toby was switched at 14 years old and he had horrible, paint peeling gas for about two weeks, but no diarrhea or anything. (And wow did he LOVE the raw food!) Puppies adapt very quickly but older dogs MAY have some trouble since their systems are used to digesting kibble. They may have diarrhea, or constipation if the bone content is too high. Once your dogs are regulated with the new food and you have figured out the bone level necessary to solid poop, you can start adding new meats. That is really the only reason to wait in-between new meats, to make sure they are adapted to them as you add them.

3) I do not fast my dog, but he is still only 15 months old and he would lose too much weight fasting. The 'Gorge and Fast' method is one way of feeding, you feed the dog as much as it wants/can eat at one meal and then fast it through several. I have never heard of just fasting your dog once a week for no apparent reason and feeding a little extra throughout the rest of the week to make up for the lost food.

4) Beef, you'll want lean cuts at least when first introducing it as a new meat. But once they are eating it you can give them any part. Pork is a good second food as well, and much cheaper than beef.

5) This is pretty much up to you. My holistic vet recommends vitamins and fish oil for his raw-fed patients, but I personally do not feel it is necessary as long as the dog is getting a good supply of different types of meat, and offal. (Keep in mind this is over the long haul, not on a per-meal basis. No one eats a 100% nutritionally balanced meal at every meal!) Whole prey is 'ideal' in terms of nutrition, but hard for many of us to do.

Good luck in the switch! I hope it's easy for you and the dogs will surely love it. :)

p.s. - Your cat may be VERY resistant to change, especially if she has been eating kibble her whole life. My cat would not even eat wet cat food, and only ONE brand of kibble. He did try to eat raw chicken, but he puked it up every time, so I gave up trying to switch him.

Last edited:

nalabear

Super Boxer
Thank you so much for your insight. My pups are 2 and 4 years. They both loved it when I would give them raw chicken as a treat so I know they will absolutely love eating it all the time :)

My girl is not as active as my boy (he is like the energizer bunny :LOL:) so adding the chicken breast is a great idea thank you.

p.s. - Your cat may be VERY resistant to change, especially if she has been eating kibble her whole life. My cat would not even eat wet cat food, and only ONE brand of kibble. He did try to eat raw chicken, but he puked it up every time, so I gave up trying to switch him.

Whenever I fed the dogs raw chicken the cat would get some too. She actually prefers raw to her kibble. She has even held out hoping I would give into her and give her more raw meat :LOL: She is 13 years and still as fiesty as possible. On occation she does throw up after eating the raw chicken, but I am wondering if it had to do with the fact it was cold and not body temp. Who knows but I will defenetly find out as we switch her :) And if its not for her I will very reluctantly go back to kibble ;)

Stub

Completely Boxer Crazy
sounds like easy transitioning all around! You are lucky to have a cat who prefers raw. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.