1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star's story (kinda long)

Discussion in 'Stories' started by StarIsMyBaby, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarIsMyBaby

StarIsMyBaby Boxer Buddy

I'm pretty new to this board and wanted to share our girl's story. A little over a year and a half ago, my boyfriend (now husband) & I were really wanting to adopt a rescue Boxer. I took the lead and started looking around on Petfinder. I looked for a couple of weeks and came across the girl we have now, Star. I read what had happened to her, and I knew right away that she was supposed to come home with us. My heart just melted! She had been found in the woods in western Kentucky, in the dead of winter. A man who was hunting came across her, and apparently, she was freezing, hungry, and comatose. Her front right paw had frozen solid, and when this nice hunter took her to the vet, it was realized that her paw could not be saved. So her entire front right leg had to be amputated. She was taken in by a rescue group in Kentucky, called Jack's Place, and had been there ever since.

I called Jack's Place and filled out an application. They called me, and I went up to Kentucky to visit her. When I met her, she was very calm, very sweet, and had an all-around great demeanor. You'd never have known what she'd been through, she was still so sweet and gentle. There was a puppy they let out with her to play, and she let him crawl all over her, and I could tell how gentle she was. We were about to go out of town, and had to let her stay at the rescue for a few more weeks. We thought it would be a bad idea to bring her home for 2 weeks, then have someone else look after her for another week. So, finally, May 13th came and after driving all the way home from Florida to Nashville, I drove right up to Kentucky & picked her up! She was really good on the ride home (about an hour & a half), and I could tell she loves car rides!

So, all that being said, she's been with us ever since. She was completely housebroken, got along well with other dogs, and would never run away from us. We only have her on a leash when she's near a road, on a walk, or somewhere potentially dangerous. My husband takes her to the disc golf park with him and never has to leash her. She's just so wonderful! She had a few issues with chewing things, and was crated for the first 7 months or so, but since then, she's had free roam of the house and doesn't mess with anything. She's great with other dogs too! She LOVES to rough-house! She's so affectionate, so animated, so sweet - just like any other Boxer!! When we get home and let her outside she runs laps around the yard. :)

As far as only having 3 legs, she does just fine. She gets tired quicker than most dogs, but for the most part, she's pretty normal. She can out-run most dogs & people are usually shocked at how fast she can run! I guess she's been with us so long that I don't even notice it anymore. Whenever we take her anywhere, people ask us what happened & we tell them the story. People tend to stare at her, and point, but you know, I couldn't care less! She's so wonderful - I truly never knew I could love a dog as much as I love her!!! She is very obedient, eager to please, and I can only hope she lives a long, happy life with us!

2. SweetCody

SweetCody Boxer Insane

What a wonderful story. Star sounds like a perfectly wonderful Boxer baby. I know you feel so lucky to have her.

3. suzyqdogsmom

suzyqdogsmom Completely Boxer Crazy

I loved your story, how lucky Star is to have found a wonderful forever home.

4. krayne

krayne Boxer Booster

That's a terrific story!! Poor baby had a rough start, but it sounds like she couldn't be happier now!

5. Gruntsmom

Gruntsmom Boxer Insane

Beautiful story! lovicon Star is a lucky girl, and you are wonderful for rescuing her. She sounds like a sweetheart. Wishing you all a long and happy life together! :)

6. SherylM

SherylM Completely Boxer Crazy

What a great story. Thanks for making me smile.

7. Holden's Mom

Holden's Mom Boxer Insane

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful rescue story. It was great you and Star managed to find each other.

Pam

8. Mama's Boys

Mama's Boys Super Boxer

What a wonderful story! Can't wait to see pictures of Star!

9. joeys mom

joeys mom Boxer Insane

AWWW I love happy endings :) sounds like you will give the loving forever home she deserves.

10. StarIsMyBaby

StarIsMyBaby Boxer Buddy

Thanks everyone!

Thanks so much for all the well wishes!! I'll get some pictures loaded here of her very soon. Thanks again!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.