Spot Training for 2 dogs in same part of yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Des11

Boxer Booster
Hi

My Chance, a 3 year old male, is spot trained. He knows to only use a certain section of the backyard for his potty. I am getting a second dog and wanted to know if it is wise to train two dogs to potty in the same location.

Can that work?? Does anyone have experience with doing this? Please advise

BeckyNC

Boxer Insane
It seems like this could work. How did you spot train your dog? I've been trying to train mine, but it just isn't working. I'll take her to her special spot everytime we are out in the backyard, but if she's off leash out there, she just squats!

Des11

Boxer Booster
Hi

Repitition repition repitition. When he would make stink in the wrong part of the yard, I would teill him bad. Pick it up and put it where I was teaching him it belonged. I am more of a stickler for No. 2 than 1. Now, he will pee on stuff like the backyard fence or whereever he smells the trace of someone. I caught him peeing on the backyard furniture too. But No.2 he is perfect. He has been spot trained for a like 2 years now. With the addition of the shih-tzu, I have not taught him yet to go in the back where the Boxer goes. He still eats his poo if you let him, so I don't leave him unattended when it is time to go No. 2.

I am also not sure how receptive Chance would be with his new mate going in the same area. I just can't wait until Chewy the shih-tzu stops eating his poo for good. He stopped for a couple of weeks, I eased up, than I caught him chowing down again. So back to fully supervised poo's.

I hope to have him spot trained by the winter though.

BeckyNC

Boxer Insane
Good luck with the spot training and thanks for the tips! I think what I need to do is tell her "bad" when she poops somewhere other than the spot I am attempting to designate. That's probably why I've failed. I read somewhere that it's important to take the dog to the same place for three weeks. I'm not sure I got to three weeks the two times I've tried. It's such a pain, but it would also be a pain if I stepped in poopy!

Have you tried a poop-eating solution for your Shi-Tzu? I know there are products on the market that you can sprinkle on the dog's food. They make the poop taste nasty, so they stop eating it. I also read somewhere that meat tenderizer can be used. There's probably info on BW about this, if you were to do a search.

Good luck with your training!

Super Boo

Completely Boxer Crazy
I have a very small yard and both dogs are trained to go in a 5'x5' area. They both have designated a corner of the area and pee/poop (if it's kept clean) in their respective spots. We trained Boo first to go down there by walking her down on a leash--she was 6 months old so it took a while and we still keep a sharp eye on her. Skye-since he was a pup-took to it right away. He won't ever pee anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.