1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spondylosis

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by sonomagirl, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonomagirl

sonomagirl Boxer Booster

My 5 year old was diagnosed with Spondylosis. My vet has her on Rimadyl right now and wants to put her on Dasaquin after she is done with Rimadyl. This has totally thrown me for a loop. I'm scared to do any research on this disease because I somehow imagine the prognosis is not good. Can anyone tell me anything about Dasaquin and maybe what other supplements may be helpful, and what I can expect long term.

Also, over the past three weeks she has peed on the couch during the night when she is sleeping. This is completely out of character for her. Anyone know if this is related? (FYI -She recently had bloodwork done and everything was completely normal.)

2. kelseighgirl

kelseighgirl Completely Boxer Crazy

My female was diagnosed with Spondylosis a few years ago. From what my vet explained to me it is bone that is fusing the vertebrea (sp? ) together in the spine. The way I understand it is it isnt something that can be corrected...just managed the best you can.
    Kelseigh also has hip dysplasia so I have dropped a few pounds off of her weight and that has seemed to help a lot. I give her daily supplements also. Duralactin twice a day and Glycoflex III twice a day.
    I was having xrays done once a year to track its progression as well. Hers is at the base of her spine just above her tail. One year you could see where there were gaps between the vertebrea and the next year you could see the gaps had filled in.
    If you didnt know that my girl had these issues the only thing you would notice right away was the hip dysplasia and thats only when she sits down or gets up from a down position.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  3. darwinsmom

darwinsmom Super Boxer

From what I know of Spondylosis it leads to osteoarthritis in the spine. I can't offer any advice on Spondylosis, but I give my 7 year old Dasuquin with MSM (there is also a type without MSM). We started the Dasuquin after a TPLO for a torn knee ligament this summer - we also discovered at that time that he has hip dysplasia but it is largely asymptomatic. Before the knee injury he was on another joint product.

Dasuquin is definitely one of the pricier joint products especially if you purchase through your veterinarian (the best price I have found is at vetdepot.com, at about 50% off suggested retail.) However, I like it because it contains most of the recommended supplements (Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, and Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables) in sufficiently high amounts. As a result I only have to administer one supplement. The missing supplement that some others contain is hyaluronic acid (another component of joint fluid). I have been giving Darwin the "loading" dose (2 tablets) since we started - based on vet recommended dosages for the individual ingredients for his weight. And he likes the chewables. Unfortunately, because he was recovering from orthopedic surgery and on restricted activity when we started it is hard to judge how much improvement there has been on Dasuquin. But he is now 18 weeks post-surgery and pretty much back to running, jumping, and playing with his younger boxer sister....although we still make sure he is supervised for off-leash activity.

One other supplement you might discuss with your vet is fish oil. It is a natural anti-inflammatory and a common supplement for arthritic patients. You might also want to investigate Adequan injections. They have worked well for some dogs when oral supplements are not enough. From Dolittler (vet blog) Why I love Adequan for cats and dogs

Good luck,
    Karlyn

4. boilerupking

boilerupking Boxer Booster

My Muffin had spondylosis and would sometimes pee in the bed as well. She was just unable to get up and off of the bed before it was too late. Her problems started at the base of her spine, and within 2 years, there was no space at all between vertebrea.
    She was much older at the onset of the disease, and was on Rimadyl for 2 years as well as fish oil and dasuquin. Because of the Rimadyl, she was not in pain but still had difficulty getting up after sitting or lying down as well as trouble holding herself up when she squatted to urinate.
    Eventually, she developed kidney and urinary tract problems from the difficulties she had trying to pee. As I said, she was much older than your girl when diagnosed and the progression of the disease in her elderly body was rapid. I'm sure the prognosis for your younger girl is much brighter, I truly don't mean to worry you. There are a great many supplements available that will help, and as always, so much wisdom and compassion here as well.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you. You will figure out how to manage the spondylosis and have many happy years together. :)

5. harleyboxer

harleyboxer Super Boxer

There are some new joint supplements on the market that have natural anti-inflammatories in them. I have used Zoom and Phycox. My dog had the best results on the Phycox. He has spondylosis too and drags one of his back legs occasionaly on walks which is greatly reduced with the Phycox over other joint supplements he has used (cosequin, etc.). It has the same stuff as most other joint products, but has some kind of algae that is supposed to be a natural anti inflamatory. It's a great alternative to pain meds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.