1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spitting up...am I feeding too much

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by mdbarone, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdbarone

mdbarone Boxer Pal

Tyson is almost 10 weeks old. I'm feeding him 1 cup Nutro puppy..large breed food, along with some wet puppy canned food and water mixed together 3 times a day. I feel him about 7 am. then again at noon, and then around 6:30 pm. I believe I am following the directions on the Nutro package on how much to feed him.
    But, I've noticed that he will spit up, not really a vomit, but like a burp that is juicy (kinda gross) and some stuff comes up. He'll do this sometimes HOURS after eating (today it was 5 hours after he had lunch.) Usually he has been playing and will do this.
    I'm not sure if I'm overfeeding...he eats all that is in his dish within 5-8 minutes...maybe he's a fast eater.
    Could he still be a little immature in his digestion? He also gets hiccups all the time...maybe 4-5- times a day. Silly boy.

Any suggestions? I really appreciate your thoughts.

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

3 cups a day sounds like an enormous volume of food for a 10 week old puppy. It may not be incorrect though, for the food you're feeding. Nutro isn't a terribly high quality food, and has a lot of grain fragments and other fillers in it but not a lot of meat at all (26% only - they're required to disclose that on the packaging in EU countries ;)). When a food doesn't have much meat in it and has a large amount of filler, then naturally, you need to feed much more of it than you would a higher quality food. All kibble is not created equal ;)

I think you'd do better switching to a higher quality food that doesn't require such a large volume to be fed. And likely also feeding him 4 smaller meals daily (baby pups are like baby humans - they need frequent small feeds and can't take in enormous amounts at a single sitting). There is some good information on how to choose a higher quality food at www.boxerworld.com/feeding - what to look for, what to avoid, and why. And for information on the contents of 800+ different dog foods along with ratings and reviews, you might find this site quite useful in selecting an alternative: www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.