1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spike is doing strange things.

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Roge, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Spike our terrier has just turned 10 this month. For the last 6 months he has changed. OK he has been a little on the grumpy side for the last year or so but im putting that down to old age. He as taken a dislike to DH as in he wont do a thing that he tells him, infact he will do the anything except what Dh wants, If DH tells him to come in he will sit and not move if DH wants him to go out he will sit and not move but he still behaves the same with me and does as hes told. Also another thing that makes me laugh ( Its the evil side in me ) If DH puts anything down outside ie; tools, boots, ect spike will pee on it, he never pees on anything belonging to anyone else . so now DH has to make sure that he doesnt leave anything on the ground.
    So I was just wondering if anyone out there can throw some light on the issue as DH makes me keep Spike inside now if hes working on his van or mowing the lawn or whatever cauz he cant leave anything down .

2. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

LOL don't mean to laugh, but it's kinda funny! Seems like terrier is misbehaving. Maybe have DH do some feedings with this guy. Get him back to DH being boss and sole giver of nutrients. Betcha he "comes" on command pretty quick and knows commands when he's hungry!

I would watch him for a bit with hubby, as in observing. See if hubby is treating him differently lately. Possibly ignoring him when he wants attention or maybe not spending enough time with him. Terrier is obviously "owing" his shoes, or tools that he leaves outside. Terrier's seem to have an issue with peeing on inanimate objects that we find treasures. Could be age creeping up with some defiant issues. But just observing them together, you may see some subtle changes that otherwise may be missed every day.

3. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Laugh away cauz I laugh when DH is not looking !!!!! :) Yep good idea with the food as Spike is food driven . I do think that defient issues are partly due to age but in saying that he has always been somewhat defient its just in his nature.
    Come to think of it id say that DH does tend to pay Roge more attention than Spike but thats because Roge loves to play .ie if DH is relaxing with his feet up Roge will grab at his sock and try to pull it off hence the game starts. Spike has NEVER played I think he thinks hes above all that he gives Roge a look as if to say" geez gim me a break"
    I.ll defo get him to give the feeding a go , however I dont know how were going to overcome the peeing issue, but every cloud has a silver lining, DH picks everything up now.

4. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

One of the many reasons I love the terrier breeds (mostly the bully ones) is cause they are just so weird sometimes!! Always makes me wanna figure out what goes on in those blockheads of theirs.

Fozzy, the pit/hound, ALWAYS pees on Lily! He follows her out, then when she squats, he sneaks up behind her and pees on her butt! What a nutso! Then he will clean her off. But he never could really pee right. He always pees on his front leg. His aim is always off.

I really can't help you on the marking objects. Would drive me crazy though.

Maybe Hubby just needs to be the food resource and if the terrier doesn't really play (too mature for kids stuff), then DH could do walks with him and take him along on short trips in the car. Build a better bond. Maybe would help with the peeing issues, or hoping it would. Since he will be more "friend" to hubby than having to "own" hubby's items.

5. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Thanks , I will suggest the car trips ( DH doesnt do dog walking ) However I have the feeling he will not be in favour of it as he will be afraid that Spike will pee in the van ha ha!!, anyhow iv told him that he is the only one that can work on this issue cauz it is him that Spike has the issue with. Time will tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.