Someone mentioned elevated bowls

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjjc23

Boxer Buddy
In another thread someone mentioned that elevated bowls are a no-no for boxers. Can anyone tell me why? If it's bad for them I want to remove the ones I use!!

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Elevated feeders increase the risk of the dog developing bloat - by over 100%. Bloat is frequently fatal, so it's not an irrelevancy.

There is a sticky thread at the top of the health forum about factors found by repeated veterinary studies to increase the risk of bloat (dispels a few myths also, so it's worth a read).

kazsmom

Boxer Booster
I have never heard this and have been feeding all my dogs with an elevated dish!!! Holy cow!!! Thanks for the heads-up...

Des11

Boxer Booster
I use an elevated bowl dish too. I was told that it reduces gas and it has. I am hurting Chance in other ways by using this thing??

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Not hurting, per se. But you're taking much bigger risks with the possibility of developing bloat. Much better to feed as nature intended, IMO. That is, from ground level.

SILLY6PAK

Boxer Insane
We had a bloat scare with an elevated dish. Who knows it might have been unrelated but we have gotten rid of all raised dishes and are bloat free for 3 years. Knock on wood.

SteveISU

Boxer Booster
My god the more I read this board the more I feel like a horrible father. :( :eek:

I thought I was making it easier for her to eat and drink. Off to the store I go. :LOL:

Last edited:

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
LOL - well, don't feel bad. Raised feeders sounds logical enough (which is why the myth spread as far and wide as it did). It's just that actual research has found that sounding logical and being so don't necessarily match - and definitely not in this case. But we only find these things out by reading ;)

SteveISU

Boxer Booster
LOL - well, don't feel bad. Raised feeders sounds logical enough (which is why the myth spread as far and wide as it did). It's just that actual research has found that sounding logical and being so don't necessarily match - and definitely not in this case. But we only find these things out by reading ;)

The more I read the dumber I feel. :LOL:

It's a shame to because she likes her bowls, they are about 6in off the ground, granted she's only 14 inches off herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.