1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soft Stool Q

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by karens, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karens

karens Boxer Insane

My boy Myles just turned two at the end of May. He has been having "soft serves" as we call them, or unshapen stools. I took his stool in for a fecal and nothing came up. He was put on Metronidazole and a diet of rice and boiled chicken for a few days. He began throwing up, but his stool became a bit firmer, not quite normal but a little more firm. Since taking him off the Metronidazole, his stools have become soft again. He's had an x-ray and all looks good. I feed him Wellness, one cup, twice a day. He's never had a problem with his food. Right now they are calling it a virus, but if it actually were a virus, the Metronidazole, a treatment for bacteria wouldn't have helped right???

I wanted to take him in for a blood test, but thought I would pop my head in here first in the event that anyone may have some insight rather than taking shots in the dark. I have never had a dog not firm up on rice and chicken after a day or two. I was half way through his Metronidazole perscription before he started vomitting from it. As soon as I took him off the vomitting stopped. His stools are clay colored, very stinky and sometimes have a bit of yellow in them. I was reading about pancreatic insufficiency and how it sometimes coincides with bacterial overgrowth, which in my opinion would explain why the Metro helped at least for a bit. The problem started about two weeks ago. He has always been very skinny and active, but he looks very thin now with some protrusion of his hip bones. He has a good appetite.

Any thoughts on possible problems would be appreciated!!!

2. winn dixie

winn dixie Super Boxer

i think your baby needs further testing,with the events you have described,and the length of time that has passed,now,don't worry,but i think the problem should be addressed again...

3. Gruntsmom

Gruntsmom Boxer Insane

I agree with winn dixie, get further testing done. I am dealing with pancreatitis/food allergy issues with my Grunt right now, he is on Metro, carafate and Pepcid, and a frequent tiny meal feeding schedule after two recent bouts of bloody diarrhea. He has not had the vomiting issues that your Myles has. His appetite is good also. Have you had any pancreas enzyme testing done, specifically the PLI (Pancreatic Lipase Immunoreactivity) test? You might ask your vet about it, and also a full blood panel if you haven't had one done recently. Meanwhile, I hope that you are able to get Myles' illness pinpointed and that he feels better soon. Grunt and I send lots of healing vibes and hugs. Keep us posted.

4. karens

karens Boxer Insane

I was planning on taking him in this Thursday for bloodwork. Since it's not life threatening, I thought I'd take him to his agility class tonight (he's so fabulous!) He just had the xrays done this weekend and was given a shot to settle his system. I know it was the Metro that was making him throw up.

In the research I have been doing, I haven't heard of the PLI. What is the difference between that and the TLI (trypsin-like immunoreactivity)? I was suspecting something pancreatic after he didn't have any blockage. I just like to go into my vet's office with as much knowledge as I can, especially if they start talking about something you have never heard of.

I love the name Grunt! Our friends had a mutt named Grunt long ago. The name always makes me smile!

5. Boxer Babies

Boxer Babies Super Boxer

Hi Karen,

Im sorry to hear your baby is ill.

My boy had a bout of Pancreatits last December. He was having bloody stools and vomiting but no other symptoms, his normal crazy self.

The vet put him on Carafate, Peptosil, and Lectade and Clavamox. It took ages for him to get over it.

I also started giving him Probiotics that really did the trick. It puts the good bacteria back in his tummy. I still give it to him, especially if he starts passing loose, yellowy stools and he comes good really quickly.

you may want to give the Probiotics a try, they are cheap and cant hurt. If anything it will help with tummy problems. You can buy them from the vet but its pretty expensive that way. i get mine from a pet shop.

Good luck with your baby

6. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

karens, I fed Wellness (and recommended it here and elsewhere highly for 8 years) until my dogs had pretty much what yours is having. Went on for months.

Finally mentioned it to the people I buy the food from, and they said 5 other people had switched off it due to the same symptoms (endlessly soft stool). She called the company to complain but they said they hadn't heard of any problems.

I switched food and the problem went away pretty instantly. In following weeks I met more and more people who dropped Wellness due to this -- including a guy who buys the food for DEA beagles in Boston.

I'm sure searching the archives will reveal how strongly I have recommended Wellness over the years, but with each formulation in the last few years, the quality went down. I had hoped maybe they would get the message with the defections, but evidently not.

I switched to Artemis, by the way -- feel just as good about it as I used to with Wellness. I had also noticed considerable dulling of my very red bitch's coat -- that bounced back with Artemis.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  7. Gruntsmom

Gruntsmom Boxer Insane

I'm so glad to hear that you are taking Myles in for more testing. It may still prove to be inconclusive, but at least you'll establish some baselines, and know more what's going on inside your baby. I've been doing some research on pancreatic enzyme insufficiency this morning and found the TLI is helpful in diagnosis of the condition. I am requesting that test for Grunt, because he has some of the symptoms, particularly recently in his stool which had some undigested food in it. He has only had the PLI which is lipase specific. I don't know why our vet never did a TLI. The thing about pancreatitis is that it can be so hard to diagnose unless it's a full blown acute attack. Like Myles, Grunt exhibits some symptoms of both chronic pancreatitis and pancreatic enzyme insufficiency. I want to take him off the Metro, because I have read that it can CAUSE pancreatitis and liver toxicity!! Go figure! One thing that stands out loud and clear in my mind, is that diet is SO critical to the health and wellbeing of living things. In our case, finding the proper food for our babies is the challenge, and our mission! ;) Keep us posted on Myles!! Hugs from Grunt :)

8. karens

karens Boxer Insane

Well thanks everyone! Kassa, I know what you mean by the food. Although I haven't had problems up until now, I notice that recently the color changes with just about every bag. I just bought the book that everyone recommends for getting started on a natural diet, but upon futher investigation, with three dogs, it might be a strech financially. I'll have to look into other food alternatives.

Grunt's mom, I've been checking his poops closely (love that!) and he does not have any undigested food. I decided to take him Saturday because it's only two days away and with fasting him for the test, at least I can feed him when I get home. (Thank Grunt for the info!) They said they test both the PLI and the TLI and I am ready with all my paperwork and the normal range levels! If it does come up inconclusive, at least I can talk intelligently about the pancreas at cocktail parties, ha.

At class last night someone commented how thin he was, ugh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.