So frustrated with dogs running loose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valantar

Boxer Insane
I am so frustrated with people in my neighborhood leaving their dogs loose and unattended. It would be somewhat tolerable if the dogs were friendly, but we have been attacked twice by dogs that were not very friendly and have avoided some other close calls.

Today, I felt bad for Hannah because she is feeling better and has lots of energy. She is not allowed to play with her brother Samson for three weeks, so I decided to take her for a long walk in my neighborhood. I made it halfway around the loop I usually take, and a huge lab came charging at us and was growling. I yelled at him several times, which seemed to make him think twice and allowed me to quickly walk away with Hannah. I was thankful to be able to get Hannah back to the house without any injuries. I spent the next hour just playing fetch with her in my backyard.

Does anyone else have problems walking their dogs because of other dogs that are loose?

I just needed to vent. My dogs love going for walks, but I am always afraid of what I might run into. Is there anything I should carry with me that might help if an aggressive dog comes after us? Why can't people be more responsible with their animals?

bucca

Boxer Insane
i dont have your problem, but if you know where the dogs are coming from can you talk to the people and tell them whats going on? or call animal control and have them handle the situation, its not fair you that you cant walk your dog. carry a big stick or umbrella with you next time you walk, i do when i go on the trails with my girls just in case.

StormKatz

Super Boxer
There's a citronila (sp?) spray the make as a dog replent, you may want to see if you can find some of that, & I would definatly report the owners to animal control.

okie girl

Super Boxer
I have the same problem. My neighbor has a chow and a german shepard and they left loose with no fence to keep them in. I can't let my dogs go in the fenced front yard unless I can't stay right with them at all times. they come over in to my ditch and bug my dogs growl and bite at the fence. If I leave my front drive thru gate open and my dogs in the side and back yard they come over into my hard. My Angel girl can jump the fence and she tries to get to them because they are aggrevating her. I always go out and yell at them to go home. One time their owner was outside and I kept hollaring at them to go home and she just looked at me and ignored me. She would not call them home. It is so bad my daughter can't go out to play with out me going out first and shutting the gate so they don't come after her. Uggg It makes me so mad that I fence my dogs in and follow the rules and people just don't care and let their dogs bother mine.

Valantar

Boxer Insane
The first time we were attacked, the owner came running down the street and got his dog under control. Samson was just a puppy, so I picked him up to keep him from getting hurt. The owner apologized and said his dog escaped from the fence. We haven't seen that dog since this incident.
Another time, a little Yorkie came running at us and the owners were there to grab it and apologized.
We have had a boxer come flying up the street at us, but he was very friendly and wanted to play. The owners were running behind him.
Today, I have never seen the dog before and I am not sure who owns him. I'll have to keep an eye out for him and try to figure out if he lives in the neighborhood or if he was visiting somebody.
When I go to work in the morning, I see several dogs just running around the neighborhood. I am suprised that people are not more concerned for their dog's safety.
It is also a touchy subject calling animal control when you don't want to cause problems in the neighborhood. If there was a dog that repeatedly attacked, I would definately take further action.
I just never know what I am going to run across on my walks.

I've got one neighbor in particular that consistantly leaves her dogs out. The yellow lab is good about staying in her yard. I think because she's an elderly dog. But the other one they have is some kind of mix about 75 lbs- Penny. It never fails that dh or I'll take the dogs out, boxers on leashes and cockers off leash, and Penny will pay a visit to our yard. I've told her time and time again to keep her dog out of my yard. I think what bugs me most (besides their irresponsiblity) is when Penny comes into our yard Alex and Sophie will try to chase her out. My biggest fear is if Penny turns on my cockers and bites them. The day that happens I WILL SUE!

efb01

Banned
It is frustrating to have loose dogs in the neighborhood. Since there is a 6 lane highway right outside my subdivision loose dogs are usually seen the next day in the middle of the highway. I don't understand peoples lack of responsiblity toward dog ownership.

ZOE*BOXER

Boxer Insane
Uugghhh!

I completely understand your frustration. We live in the area affected by Hurricane Katrina. Nobody in my neighborhood has a fence any more due to the storm. So every morning I take Zoe for a little run along side of my bike just to burn off some of her energy and let her have some running time since she cannot run loose in the yard anymore. ( I cannot put up a new fence until the parish comes out and removes the tree that has partially fallen and pulled up the sidewalk and my chainwall.) So many people just let their dogs have run of the neighborhood now since thay have lost their fences. Zoe and I get approached or chased by an average of 3 dog per day. I just yell no and it usually works. It has gotten to where I amost do not let her go with me, but she gets so excited when I pull the bike out plus she has so much pent up energy having to stay inside almost 24/7.

kitikarial2

Super Boxer
I know exactly what you are saying too, I cant walk my dogs any where without the fear of loose dogs coming out at us. Funny they have Leash Law signs everywhere but there are loose dogs everywhere too. I am so fearful for my babies and me. It is just no fun to walk them, it is not peaceful at all. I have seen in magazines ads for mace like stuff to spray at dogs, and I wouldnt want to do that to someone's dog, but if I want to enjoy a walk and feel safe, I may have to invest in it. I would hate to use it, but I would if I felt threatened for my babies or me. People just have no common sense!!!!!

Checkers

Boxer Insane
Yeah I know what you mean too. I was walking Lily the other night and a dog ran across the road growling. My heart was beating SO fast!!! Luckily Lily just stood there and let the dog sniff her until the stupid owner came out. Lol Lily was calmer than I was, just kept on walking past another two dogs going crazy behind a fence :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.