So EXCITED! Taking an Alaskan Cruise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
So my family is taking an Alaskan cruise this summer , appicon, and I am so excited! It is on my bucket list, so I check that off. My question is if anyone has any suggestions for the "must sees" for our port of calls. We will be departing from Seward, and going to Juneau, Skagway, Icy Point Straight, Ketchikan, and ending in Vancouver, BC.

I am going to hate leaving Arabella for that long, but I am excited to spend time with my family on such an adventure!

Kisaq

Super Boxer
Sorry... I don't know that side of town. :D

But I hope you have a great time. Spend as much time as possible out on the deck.

Kisaq

Super Boxer
We are booking a balcony room so I can sit and drink some coffee and enjoy the views.

We took a Prince William Sound glacier cruise from Valdez to Meares Glacier and back. It was amazing. Not so much the glacier itself ... yeh, that was cool but after you've seen a few of them, they are kinda ho-hum. But the animal life ... the sea life ... was incredible. So close. Mind you, we went on the Stan Steven's cruise and their boats are pretty close to the water compared to the big cruise ships.

Perhaps the most surprising thing was the jelly fish floating around in the water. They glowed so iridescently through the water and so many varieties ... never would have seen them from the indoors even with a good window seat.

The Orca's were the most heart stopping part - they gave us quite a rare show - a pod (with a calf) swam right up to the boat below me and one of them breached for us twice! Another one flapped it's flipper at the water for us. So cool. What an experience. Almost impossible to get good photos though.
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums...6-3d4b-44a4-90ad-5c03168a0eb3_zps892f5299.jpg
Sorry for the mask - but I don't like having my picture on the internet. :)

We saw just about everything - big male sea lions who were grunting at us, baby seals, humpbacks, sea birds of all kinds, dall porpoises ... and that was just on a 9 hour cruise. We were very lucky and it was a gorgeous day.

You are going to have a blast. :)

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I have been on cruise to Alaska to the same places, except we went to Glacier Bay. We went on a boat cruise from Ketchikan and saw lots of whales.
You will have a great time.

We took a Prince William Sound glacier cruise from Valdez to Meares Glacier and back. It was amazing. Not so much the glacier itself ... yeh, that was cool but after you've seen a few of them, they are kinda ho-hum. But the animal life ... the sea life ... was incredible. So close. Mind you, we went on the Stan Steven's cruise and their boats are pretty close to the water compared to the big cruise ships.

I have been on the cruise too in 1998. We were on a boat called the Chugach. We stayed in an RV Park in Valdez. I had to get a guy there to look after Markus, while we were gone. It was an awesome trip up to the glacier and the glacier was calving like crazy. There was a much better view of wildlife on that trip than there ever was on a cruise ship. Too bad all my photos are before the digital age. :( We were in Alaska for a month. It was a great trip.

I have been on a cruise to Alaska too. It was great as well, but I think the road trip was better. :) We saw much more wildlife, while driving in Alaska than we did on the cruise.

packblt

Completely Boxer Crazy
I'm very jealous!!! Cruise to Alaska is on my bucket list also:)

I saw photos a few years ago from a cruise friends of my parents took and they were amazing.

You're going to have such a great time. And great that your family is going too!

bxrbgood

Boxer Insane
You will enjoy your trip. Take lots of pic/vids. Prince William Sound is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Well, we fly into Anchorage the day before the cruise, and have booked our flights, hotel and a rental car to get from to Seward. And have a dog sitter set up for Arabella. Now I only have to wait for June to get here. I think it is going to be a LONG winter! ;)

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Make sure that you take a warm coat with you. It can be pretty cool out on deck in June. :)

You will have a wonderful time. ;)

Last edited:

Stub

Completely Boxer Crazy
I didn't say it before because I didn't know you'd have a car, but check out Exit glacier near Seward if you have a chance! I got to climb it in 1998 and the view from the top, of the Harding Ice Field, was truly spectacular. I think the glacier has retreated a lot since then, and I don't know if you can still hike up it (was 8 hrs round trip in '98) but even just being at the face is very cool.

I did a road trip to Alaska on the Alaska highway in 1998, it was the best vacation ever! I also worked on the Valdez oil spill in 1989, and spent 3 months in Prince William Sound. I LOVE Alaska.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.