SO confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tab_b

Boxer Insane
Argh! I've been reading literally ALL DAY about feeding puppies. ALL DAY! I *thought* I had a good idea of what I knew - now, I'm not so sure. I had *planned* on doing a BARF diet for my puppy when he comes home - March. However, now I'm seriously rethinking that, because I've read some things that don't sound nearly as good as I'd perviously read. Sufficed to say, I'm in need of some opinions/advice here.

I've noticed a LOT of members posting about Canidae, so I started reading about that. It looks like something I should be considering, so I found out our local stores that sell it. My question is, what is the price range I should expect?

The very last thing I want to do here is take home a new baby and mess up with feeding. I want the best for my furbabies; they're members of my family! I wouldn't feed my skin babies anything less than the best in nutrition, and I don't want feed my furbabies anything less than the best.

Opinions? Advice?

Thanks for reading.

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
I am a raw feeder - and have no doubt at all that it is the best way for me to feed my dog. I think that it is the best and by far the most natural way of feeding most dogs. But it is not necessarily "best" for most owners ;) and there are the two of you in the equation.

If you're interested in feeding raw, then by all means hop on over to the barf forum and seek views there. There are plenty of raw feeders on the board who're more than happy to share their opinions and experiences.

If you choose to go with kibble though, Canidae is a very good choice for starting out with. It is an all-life-stages food (which actually means a slightly more stringent feeding trial than those for only adults or puppies - but that has limited value anyway). And it's also one that is very reasonably priced. You'd have to check exactly for prices around you, but I think many members pay around the $30-35 mark for a 33lb bag.

SteveISU

Boxer Booster
I pay $37 for a 40lb bag of Canidae. :D

One thing to point out. You have to find out what the breeder is feeding him/her and get a medium bag of that. Then switch her slowly over a period of a week or two. Switching in one day or too fast will likely upset his/her stomach and cause some ungodly messes.

I pay 29.99 for a 40lb bag of Canidae. I have 2 males about 1 year old and they weigh 65lbs. They go through a 40lb bag about every 3 weeks. :)

Muggs&Moses

Boxer Buddy
We payed $31.00 for a 33lb bag Canidae. They are on California Natural Lamb & Rice for puppies now , which we like a little better. Both foods worked well though, the CN is a few dollars more expensive.

Make sure you switch over slowly to a new food as suggested or else there will be many messes:)

RachS

Super Boxer
Argh! I've been reading literally ALL DAY about feeding puppies. ALL DAY!

I did the same thing prior to bringing our puppy home. I was so surprised to learn how bad regular well known kibble is and I also got very interested in BARF as well. I still haven't started but plan to. Until then, i have been doing a rotation of several high quality foods including kibble. We owe it to our babies to do the research and feed them as best we can.

tab_b

Boxer Insane
I did the same thing prior to bringing our puppy home. I was so surprised to learn how bad regular well known kibble is and I also got very interested in BARF as well. I still haven't started but plan to. Until then, i have been doing a rotation of several high quality foods including kibble. We owe it to our babies to do the research and feed them as best we can.

Exactly. This is why I've been having such a difficult time with this decision, as I'm sure many of you here have. I can't imagine going to the store and picking up "whatever" - I would feel like a parent who fed their child nothing but hotdogs! :(

I think for the beginning, we'll do a gradual switch from whatever he's on when he comes home to Canidae, then see how he does and that, and *possibly* switch over to BARF at some point. I'm back and forth on the BARF thing too, so I guess we'll just see how he does on the Canidae, and go from there.

Thanks to everyone for their input; I appreciate it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.