1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smelly doggie :)

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by TysonCheeto, Oct 12, 2014.

1. TysonCheeto

TysonCheeto Completely Boxer Crazy

So I wasn't 100% for sure where to post this...hope Im in the right forum for it!!!

So Bentley tends to have a smell to him and I'm not sure what else I can do to remedy it , or if this is just his genetic makeup... Bentley has very soft fur...even more so then Arabella. He also sheds quite a bit. Now I'm just comparing to Arabella... It isn't an abnormal amount of shedding but he's just definitely a shedder lol.

I was curious because we have tried many quality foods since having him, and none of them seem to make a difference, I use the zoom groom on him on a regular basis to get all the loose hair off of him. Not sure what else to try. He doesn't reek by any means LOL and its nothing sudden, he has been that way since we got him.

I have tried a spray for dogs that is like a conditioning sented spray.... But that obviously doesnt get to the root of the issue!!!!

Curious if I'm the only one, if not what did you find that works!?!?

2. RockTheBoxer

RockTheBoxer Super Boxer

Have you tried giving Bentley a fish oil supplement? That seems to help with Rocky's skin and fur. He hardly sheds at all. There are a ton to choose from....we use Skin & Coat a Essentials by GNC for pets. You can find at your local pet store. It has omega 3's and there's a bonus that it's good for their joints too. For the smell, I can't say I've noticed anything unusual. Rocky smells like dog....but we do give him a bath every few weeks. We typically don't go more than 3 weeks.

3. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Catch 22 !! I find with Roge the more I wash the more he sheds.. I think that the baths seem to loosen the undercoat more Plus a lot of washing dries up the natural oils in the hair hence more shedding .. But if you have a pongie pooch you have to wash .. I don't know why he would smell .. Maybe someone will be able to enlighten us on doggie odour ..
    When I had Roge with the cardiologist in August he did a complete check over on him and when he looked into his ear he said "yep Roge you have Boxer smelly ears " however I can't find a smell off his ears ?

4. luvmyboy

luvmyboy Boxer Insane

Frequent baths seem to also dry out the skin. Since switchiing to raw feeding, Tucker's doggie odor is pretty much gone. With his allergies, I do wipe him down after prolonged periods outdoors. Won't have to do this when the first freeze appears here...