1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small boxer pup

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Nirmita, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nirmita

Nirmita Boxer Pal

Hi,
    I have a 2 and a half month old boxer pup (brindle, male) called Sigi and I'm worried that he is too small. He weighs only 12 lbs and is 12 inches tall. I'm not sure what weight/height he is supposed to be at this age, but he seems to be sub-average.

He is very naughty and tries to eat anything he can lay his mouth on - varying from leaves and twigs to scraping paint off the walls and trying to chew bricks..though we do give him calcium and other nutritional supplements..Is this behaviour normal ? how long do they try to eat stuff?

Does someone out there have a height/weight chart for growing boxers ? or some approx measure ?

Please reply..

Thanks,
    Nirmita

2. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Boxers are different. Some are small and some are really big. It is a genetic thing, so there is no way to truly tell how big your dog should be, except by perhaps looking at the parents. But even then, it isn't always the case that the pups will all be like the parents.

Boxers are also slow to grow. They mature a little slower than other dogs and go through periods where they look like skin and bones, then grow in spurts, sometimes growing in length before height, etc., etc. Seems the last thing they do, sometimes not until around 3 years of age, is fill out.

If you are feeding the recommended amounts of food for your dog according to the package or your vet, don't worry. The dog will grow into his skin as it were, in time.

As for the chewing of anything in sight. . . welcome to the world of puppies. The entire world is a chew toy for pups. So, that's why it is vitally important to redirect that chewing energy while he's young and impressionable and redirect it to proper toys to chew on, rather than your couch or walls. :)

I recommend "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson for the chewing issues.

Good luck.

3. Wendy Swalls

Wendy Swalls Super Boxer

We also thought that our Mickey was too small, at 3 months he was 17#, but he's growing just fine and will probably be a 60-65 pounder. Our vet says he's perfect, he's full of energy and his coat is very shiny. I'll take a smaller boxer with a huge personality anyday! Less problems with hips and hearts, longer life!

4. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

10 weeks is *way* too soon to make any kind of assessment as to whether a dog is too big or too small! 12 lbs. at 10 weeks does not seem unusually small, especially for where you are - my largest male was 18 lbs. at 12 weeks and he was noticeably bigger than the other puppies - and North American dogs tend to be a bit larger (taller) than others.

I would recommend against giving him calcium supplements if you are feeding a puppy food - puppy foods have plenty, and excess calcium can cause him to grow too quickly, which can lead to serious bone and joint problems.

5. daws1807

daws1807 Boxer Pal

Ours was

Our Tyson weighed in at 11 pounds at 10 weeks the vet said he would be about 26 pounds by 14 weeks. Tyson seems to have doubled in the three weeks that we have had him. He is now 12 weeks old. We are getting our pictures developed today from the first night we got him can't wait to see the changes in him.

6. Dodgn_AK

Dodgn_AK Completely Boxer Crazy

My Tyson was 12lbs at 10 weeks. He was the second biggest in the litter. Now, at 10 months he is 50lbs. The vet said he is perfect. Very healthy looking and happy. :) I think your pup is at a good weight.

7. oddlou

oddlou Boxer Booster

Lou weighed about 12 lbs at 10 weeks. He's now almost 45 lbs a week shy of 6 months. 12 lbs doesn't seem all that small to me. As long as the vet says he's healthy, don't worry about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.