Slipping her collar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glasnevin

Boxer Booster
Hi

I use a soft wide leather collar on Gina who is 7 months old. It is definitely not too tight as I can easily get my fingers between her neck and the collar. She has never been troubled by any collar we have used and she is happy with this one-except she can wriggle out of it when she gets too enthusiastic on her walks! Yesterday she was doing her jumping kidney bean walk and slipped out of her collar. Luckily, I was quick enough to grab her collar before she could manage to run off, but it is definitely becoming a problem.

When she was younger, she often managed to wriggle out of her collar at training sessions (I used a soft mesh design), but now she is bigger and bolder I am at a loss how to manage this. Any suggstions?

Many thanks

TwoDogs

Boxer Insane
Tighten the collar? You should only be able to slip two fingers between the collar and her neck. If you can fit more than that the collar is too loose.

Additionally, you could try a martingale collar (also known as a limited slip collar) that remains loose when the leash is relaxed and only tightens when tension is put on the leash.

Gunther

Super Boxer
Yep Martingale. My Boxer and my Boxer/Mix could apparently slip there collar at will?? Save for training they could have easily run into the street!

No first hand experience with it, myself but I do remember "collar slipping happening" not playing that game with my next dog!

Lizzie

Boxer Insane
I would also suggest a martingale collar. I use one with Dora and it works well. I also used one with Diva.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I gave up on using just a collar to walk my dogs and went with a harness. Thor's next was just too big for a collar to stay on. He was a good walker but if one the other dogs acted up he would back away, and out. It was just easier for me to use a harness.

Glasnevin

Boxer Booster
Thanks everyone for your ideas. Sadly, Gina has had an accident last night. I have posted on another forum. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.