Skunked 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guenola

Boxer Pal
Do boxers learn from their mistakes?
Noooooooo!

For the past three weeks, I have taken Nikita for a walk at night (around 11:30PM) unleashed. I am not supposed to do that because of the leash law in my town. But at this time noone is out and nikita enjoy the free run. Occasionally she spots a rabbit and runs after it. All in all she has a good time. We missed a couple of walk because of heavy rain and last night she was crying to go out.
Well, not five minutes into the walk, she zoomed passed me and I thought "poor rabbit, he's going to get it" but instead of a rabbit, a skunk appears. I tried to call her back without getting too close
tongue.gif
but Nikita would not listen. 2 minutes later she runs to me rubbing her face on the grass, then the smell hit me. I was fuming mad, she got skunked two times in less than a week
mad.gif
Well this time I had all the necesary products but I was not about to give a bath at midnight so I pour on her one of the product and locked her up in the garage. I let her in the yard this morning, she still smells bad so I didn't take her to work with me today. Tonight I will try Boxergirl recipe with hydrogene peroxide.
She is usually good at recall and will come to me whenever I call her, but when she spot another living creature (rabbit, skunk, dog, cat) she turns a deaf ear and would not listen. How can I change that?

------------------
Proud Mama of NIKITA
2 years old fawn female
Natural ears, docket tail

Linda

Boxer Insane
Oh, I feel sooo bad for you.
And I don't think boxer learn from their mistakes.
rolleyes.gif
When Remy was a pup, he got scratched by a cat. My vet said, "oh, I bet he won't do that again." Wanna bet?!

I can relate a little bit. A few weeks ago, Bailey decided it was fun to roll in poop.
redface.gif

I know this is NOTHING like skunk though! She rolled in it one day. I bathed her out in the front yard. A couple days later she did it again (all over her neck and collar)
mad.gif

I was so mad at her and tired of bathing her!

[This message has been edited by Linda (edited 07-28-2000).]

Tanyia

Boxer Buddy
Guenola
I feel sooo bad for you!! Poor thing! It sounds like she needs an obedience class. It never hurts to sharpen up their listening skills and I know some of the more advanced classes do lots of off leash work with distractions! Good Luck! *handing you a nose plug from my stash*

smokin.gif
I couldn't help but laugh. Boxers are such funny dogs!!!
redblob.gif

------------------
"Juno"
Poppy--(Judy Old Flame Of Jojupama):Fawn, Female, FloppyEars, DockedTail....Rainbow Bridge

MarinaS

Boxer Insane
Oh boy, I understand how you feel... I felt the same when Tina rolled in something stinky for the 10th time. It seems this odour stays forever
eek.gif

As for chasing other animals - Tina is just the same, whenever she sees a cat or a hedgehog or a rabbit she turns nuts and wouldn't listen when I call her
mad.gif

------------------
Marina (Lelu)

SueinAZ

Boxer Pal
It is tempting sometimes to let our boxers (and other dogs) run free. But in this day and age, leashes are a must. Many people complain about leash laws but they protect us and our furbabies. Ever since our neighbors lost their little schnauzer to a pitbull, we have been advocates of leashes.

We use those Flexi leashes that allows the dogs some freedom, yet we still have control of them.

Obedience is a great idea. Some breeds are better then others with that. I think with a beagle or some type of hound it would be hard for them to resist chasing something. I haven't had a boxer longer enough to know how they respond to obedience in a case where they want to chase something?

------------------
Samson, flashy fawn
DOB 2/6/00

Anthony

Boxer Pal
I feel a little better Morley got it last week while on his leash. I tripped and he took off after the skunk. By the time I got my balance he got it right in the face. Luckily, obedience starts tommorrow.

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.