1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skinny Dog

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by vitalsignusa, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vitalsignusa

vitalsignusa Boxer Booster

Hi Everyone,

I know it has been a LONG time since I last posted but after Sawyer passed it was just too hard. My husband and I had Luna but everything just reminded us of Sawyer. We recently adopted another male not from the rescue where we got Sawyer and Luna (although he was posted there under courtesy listings) but a family member who heard about a boxer needing a new home. "Rocky" is our new dog. We were told that he was two years old, had just been neutered last month and was in good health but when I went to go meet him I was totally shocked. He should be I'm guessing around 80-90 lbs. but he looks like he weighs around maybe 45 or so. I can see his vertebrae through the skin, every rib is showing. He's going to be a big boy but right now is just skin and bones. He's got a great personality but he bolts down his food like I have never seen. I'm worried about him getting bloat. Is there anything I can do to slow him down? What food should I put him on to fatten him up?

2. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Honestly any good quality food will do (Wellness, Innova, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, Fromm, Orijen, etc). Simply feed him an extra cup or 2 than what he really needs to be eating, maybe 3-4 meals a day so he gets an extra helping or 2, but a good quality food and just a little extra is probably all he needs and you'll see him gain the pounds quickly. On eating too fast, you can put a LARGE rock or ball in the bowl as that forces them to slow down since they have to eat around that, you can put food on like tin foil on the floor as it causes them to eat slower, those are the 2 ways I've always heard. Personally I would try the rock or ball in the bowl and see how that goes.

Good luck!

3. AbbeyRoad

AbbeyRoad Boxer Booster

For the gulping thing, you can feed him smaller quantities over more meals. Some people will even hand feed them so it takes longer. You can try spreading the food out over a larger area like a cookie sheet or something so he has to work harder to get it all since it is spaced out. You can put a ball or something in his bowl that he will have to work around in order to get the food (this one can be harder for dogs with "smushed" faces).

4. DiverDiva

DiverDiva Boxer Insane

I have heard of people spreading the kibble out on a bath towel on the floor to slow down the gulping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.