1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skinny boxer - want to beef her up

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Melinda, Jun 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. douma

douma Boxer Insane

i think Jasper is a VERY BIG BOY:D :D :D 7 CUPS????how weight is he?
    Avra now is 11 1/2 months and 30,5 kg

http://photos.yahoo.com/sof22001

2. Melinda

Melinda Boxer Pal

Thanks all,

I've increased her food intake to 4 cups. Am also giving my boy the same. Have also decided to alternate between the penut butter and the eggs.

Will let you know how I am going in a week or so. I think that the answer is in the amount of food. Although I never saw Kaya's parents because she was bought from a "puppy farm", our little boy (bought from a breeder) is slender too (not as skinny though), and his parents are both solid dogs. They play all day, so must just work it off. The reason I've not previously upped the amount of food was because the vet advised feeding them only 1-2 cups/day, so I was already feeding them more. I think I need to find a vet who knows more about the breed.

3. Sabrina Jay

Sabrina Jay Boxer Insane

Jasper just turned 2 years old 6/8/01. At last check, he weighed 65 pds, and is solid. His highest weight was 69 pounds, but he was a little too heavy at that weight.

At birth, Jasper weighed 13 oz. (over in the US, that is 3 oz under 1 pound).

You will have to convert. :LOL:

4. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

I'm thinking brocilli can cause hypothyroidism if fed in excess...

Pru had the same problem, she would eat and eat but couldn't gain weight. When she was about a year old I didn't worry too much about it since Boxers are thin until they reach their full height then they start filling out. Pru hasn't gotten any taller since before she turned a year old and wasn't gaining any weight at all. At about 18 months she was still skin and bones...I switched to BARF around this time. She's now filling out quite nicely and finally I can only see her last 2 ribs and no back bone. BARF works out well for dogs w/ weight problems becasue you can adjust the amount of fatty foods unlike dog food where you can only adjust the amount of food intake. Pru is fed the RMB's that have the most skin and fat on them to keep her at an ideal weight. Tyson, who seems to gain weight easily is fed the RMB's with the least amount of skin and fat (it's hard to say w/ Sheeba since she is in the middle of her filling out stage). All dogs are fed enough food to fill them but I can easily keep their weight under control w/o taking away food so they feel hungry all day or adding more than they can eat.

5. Melinda

Melinda Boxer Pal

What is BARF??

Thanks for the tips. I don't tend to give either of my dogs additional vegies, extras because I asked the vet and he explained that because I was already using a balanced dog food, adding things like eggs, penut butter, pasta etc could actually unbalance their diet. He said that if I was using a lower grade food, it would be ok to add these things in.

I am curious to find out what BARF is. Not a term I'm familiar with.
    I've also noticed that a lot of the boxer owners in the US are feeding their dogs with a brand called "Nutro". I'm not familiar with this brand. What's it like? Is it a quality feed, or a middle-range feed. A lot of boxer owners over here feed their dogs with Bonnie Working Dog, but I understand that it has a fair bit of fat in it (mid-range quality)

6. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

Hi Melinda :) BARF stands for Bones and Raw Food, or Biologically Appropriate Raw Foods, which is basically a natural diet. I've never been fond of the BARF acronym myself but that is what everyone knows it as these days. This is not a 'new' way of feeding by any means but over the last few years has become quite well known through a few good books on canine diet. I guess it became very prominent after an Aussie vet, Dr Ian Billinghurst, published 'Give Your Dog a Bone'. If you are interested you can order the book directly from Dr Billinghust here http://www.drianbillinghurst.com/

I don't think we have Nutro here (at least not under that name). I have no experience with Bonnie but if you would like more info their website may help http://www.purina.com.au/bonnie.htm This is their list of ingredients for the working dog formula:

Fresh kangaroo meat, ground whole wheat, ground whole corn, chicken meal, fish meal, vegetable protein, canola seed, beef tallow, linseed oil (flax), natural antioxidants, all essential vitamins and minerals.

These sites have good info on how to read a pet food label if you are researching different brands.
    http://www.poochnet.com/articles/aafco.htm
    http://home.hawaii.rr.com/wolfepack/foodcht2.html
    http://www.iei.net/~ebreeden/kibble.html

Sharon

7. Melinda

Melinda Boxer Pal

Thanks for your help

Thanks for the advice Sharon.

I'm pretty happy with the Pedigree Advance Formula, but find it very expensive. Those sites will be a big help because I've been considering changing brands, but want to find something which is good quality through research/recommendation rather than trial and error (one of my babies drops weight really quickly if the food's too poor quality).

Melinda

8. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

Hi Melinda, are you going to the Boxer Club fun day tomorrow?

When we fed commercial food we finally settled on Supercoat Performance and were happy enough with it. Out of interest I looked up the Ingredients of Advanced vrs Supercoat (adult formula's only) and below are the comparisons. I'm not recommending one over the other but thought you might be intertested as there are no threads here on the brands we have available :)

Advance http://www.speedyvet.com/ADVANCE/PADVfsadult.htm
    Ingredients: Poultry and poultry by-products, vegetable protein concentrate, rice, corn, poultry tallow, poultry digest, vegetable fibre, iodised salt, vegetable oil, di-calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, taurine, zinc sulphate, choline chloride, lucerne meal, marigold meal, tomato powder, antioxidants, vitamin E, vitamin C, ferrous sulphate (iron), copper sulphate, vitamin A, calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, vitamin B2, vitamin B12, potassium iodide, vitamin B1, nicotinic acid (niacin), vitamin D3, vitamin B6, folic acid.

Supercoat http://www.supercoat.com.au/product_range.asp?pr_id=1
    Ingredients: Poulty Meal, cereal grains (wheat, sorghum and/or maize), pure beef fat, whole linseeds (flax), iodised salt, dicatcium phosphate, limestone, potassium chloride, mixed natural tocopherols (vitamin E), rosemary plant extract, vitamins (A, D, E, K, B1, B6, niacin, panthothenate, riboflavin, folic acid, choline, biotin, B12), trace menerals (Iron, Zinc, Copper, Maganese, Selenium), garlic, kelp.

All the best in looking at dog foods, I think there as many opinions on what is best to feed as there are dog owners :)

Sharon

9. Melinda

Melinda Boxer Pal

Once again, thanks for the advice :)

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for all the advice. There doesn't really seem to be too much difference between the two products (but I'm sure there's a big price difference). We (my partner and I) did go to the fun day yesterday. It was great to see so many boxers in one place. We didn't stay for the whole day because of other commitments, but had a great time while we were there. I'm going to sign up with the Qld Boxer Assoc. and I'm also going to look into their Obediance - I want to do some proper obediance, but don't think that the base courses offered by the RSPCA and other org's will be right for our dogs (they already know the basics). Did you go to the fun day?

Thanks for all your advice,
    Melinda

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.