1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skinny boxer - want to beef her up

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Melinda, Jun 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melinda

Melinda Boxer Pal

My 22 month old baby "Kaya" has always been a skinny boxer. I feed her 3 cups of very good quality dry food/day, but she doesn't put on any weight (you can see her ribs). I would like recommendations on the types of home cooked or other foods I could give her to fill her out. She is very active (we have 2 babies) - plays all day and goes to the dog park, so burns most of what she eat off.

2. finz50

finz50 Guest

One word- EGGS

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Boxers should look a little on the lean and lanky side, especially at that age. You should be able to see the last three of her ribs. If you think she is really skinny, feed her more. If I recall correctly, Markus at that age ate 4 cups of good quality food a day.

4. Sabrina Jay

Sabrina Jay Boxer Insane

I agree with Jan. Try feeding her more than 3 cups per day. You might not be feeding her enough for her metabolizim.
    Increase up to 4 cups per day, and see what that does. It might take a few days to notice a change.

All my boxers eat a different amount per day, to maintain their correct weights.

My males eat between 4 - 6 cups per day, and my females will eat 3 - 3.5 cups per day to keep their weights maintained.

I feed a premium type food also. (Canadie)

When my boxers were younger, they would eat more cups per day than they do now.

If increasing her food does not help, have a fecal run, to rule out intestinal parasites.

What does her parents look like? It is possible that it is not in her *genes* to be larger.

5. douma

douma Boxer Insane

what cups?

please ,can anyone explain me ,what cups do you mean?the cup which there is in the food's bag?:confused:
    if you mean this ...Avra eats ONLY 2:( :( (from 350gr to 450gr per day)

http://photos.yahoo.com/sof22001

6. Sabrina Jay

Sabrina Jay Boxer Insane

1 cup = 8 oz of food in US measurements.

7. Angel

Angel Boxer Booster

Peanut Butter

Giving a tea spoon of peanut butter a couple times a day will help too. The vet says that peanut butter is good for the babies it has lots of protien and oils that will shine up the coat.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

And converted to metric that is 250 g (1/4 kg) or roughly 16 tablespoons ;)

Sharon

9. douma

douma Boxer Insane

thanks for clarifications:D
    if 1 cup is 250gr or 8 oz ,then 3 or 4 cups per day are too much food.
    I feed Avra with Royal Canin for large breed and the feeding instactions on the bag for boxer with adult weight from 25 to 32 kg are 440gr (2 cups)per day.
    Maybe depend on the dog ,i think Avra is low energy dog;)

http://photos.yahoo.com/sof22001

10. Sabrina Jay

Sabrina Jay Boxer Insane

The feeding amounts on the bags of dog food are estimates. You must adjust depending on the particular dog. (more or less)

When Jasper was younger (around 7 months - 15 months), I feed him Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food. He would eat 7 cups TOTAL per day. (That is ALOT of food to eat for a premium food). But his body needed that much to keep the weight on. Now, his littermate sister, only would eat approx 3 - 4 cups per day, while growing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.