Skin help for my TyTy

Status
Not open for further replies.

aandj

Boxer Pal
I was feeding Nutro Natural Choice...then I learned about pet nutrition and realized that it could be a part of her skin problem and I switched her to Natural Balance Duck and Potato. Do you have any suggestestions?

As far as giving her an anithisimine...would it be daily and what should I give her?

I really apprecaite your input!

Thank you!

aandj

Boxer Pal
thanks for all your responses

The general consensus seems to be that Ty may have allergies. Prior to learning about pet nutrition I was feeding tyson Nutro Natural Choice but in the last 2 months I have switched her to Natral Balance Lamb and rice. I briefly tried Innova and did no see much of a difference.

I will get her an allergy test and see what the doctor has to say. Thank you and if you have any other helpful tips please keep them comming!

aandj

Boxer Pal
I live in an apartment, and while I take her out several times a day for walks and potty breaks...she doesn't spend much time in the grass. I am feeding her Natural Choice Duck and Potato (she was on nutro natural choice for several years before I learned proper pet nutrition). She has the same biscuits as well as the innova biscuits and the occasional greenie...but her diet stays the same for the most part, i really don't give her scraps. As a puppy she had skin mites, but when I last brought her to the vet it was a bacterial thing, so I don't think it would be mites again. I am defintly going to get her allergy tested that should help alot. My only real step towards figuring out the allergy was to change her food...I know that usually helps alot. I haven't changed any detergents or anything. I guess I am really ignorant to the whole thing...HELP! I don't want to do anything to hurt by baby girl.

thanks a million!!!

nswain

Completely Boxer Crazy
As far as giving her an anithisimine...would it be daily and what should I give her?

I would start with benedryl (diphenhydramine), it's the same benedryl you buy for yourself at the drug store. You can give 1mg per pound of body weight, so if she weighs 50 lbs, give her 50 mg. This dose can be given twice a day. It's very safe and the only side effect usually is sleepiness.
If benedryl doesn't help after a week or so, I would try a different antihistamine. Chlorpheniramine is also available over the counter, the usual dose for a boxer sized dog is 4-8 mg, given twice daily. There are other antihistamines too, that are prescription only but much stronger, that you can get from your vet. My girl takes hydroxyzine. But I would start with the over-the-counter kinds as they are much cheaper :)

As for the food... Natural Balance is usually a good food for allergies as it contains few ingredients... how long has she been on it? Sometimes food allergies take a while to clear up even after you switch foods.

Allergy testing is a good idea... especially since she doesn't spend much time outside so it's unlikely to be a simple pollen allergy.
Good luck- hope you find some relief for your girl soon!

Burton'sMa

Boxer Booster
Update

Thank you all for the replies.....I spoke with my vet about the testing, but he said it is expensive and only really works about 50% of the time....after using the dinovite and keeping my boy on the meatloaf diet....he is doing great!! He hardly licks/scratches any more...his hair is growing back.....this stuff is great......I read (in the book recommended on this site and another one about home remedies for dogs by prevention magazine)....about dogs with dandruff and dry skin lacking zinc....actually, I also read that on the dinovite website too....my boy was getting home cooked meals, but had a difficult time digesting the solid gold vitamins....b/c they had yeast in them....my boy cannot tolerate yeast...so he was lacking vitamins....the dinovite uses cultured yeast (kinda like yogurt....good bacteria and all)...amongst other vitamins/minerals..anyhow, he is doing really well and I would recommend this product to others......I only wish I had known about it earlier......but check it out on their webiste and let me know what you all think......again, thank you for all the replies.....we wish you and yours the best:)

P.S.-I also read about using collidal oatmeal (like aveeno) for dry skin.....it is dermatoligst tested and fragrance free.....I used it on my boy and it also appeared to alleivate his paw licking and body scratching....so, I believe it helps too.....I have now switched to use that as his main shampoo....

ELubas

Boxer Insane
P.S.-I also read about using collidal oatmeal (like aveeno) for dry skin.....it is dermatoligst tested and fragrance free.....I used it on my boy and it also appeared to alleivate his paw licking and body scratching....so, I believe it helps too.....I have now switched to use that as his main shampoo....

So glad your boy is better! I use an oatmeal shampoo on mine and it really helped with the allergies-especially the itchy paws. I also add VIT C and Fish oil to thier food. Hope your boy continues to do well

Status
Not open for further replies.