Skin help for my TyTy

Status
Not open for further replies.

aandj

Boxer Pal
Hello Everyone,

I have a four year old female named Tyson. She has always had skin problems, but recently it has gotten really bad. She won't stop scratching and licking her paws...the hair all over her body is starting to get thinner. I took her to the Vet and the did a skin scraping and they said she had a bacteria, they gave her a shot, and two types of medication and it seemed to get a little better for maybe a month and now it is starting up again. I am not sure if there is something I can do other than keep taking her to the vet until they find out what it is and fix it, but I was hoping someone out there has a similar problem so perhaps i can help lead the vet to look at other options for the problem.

Please help, my baby's throat is all scabbed from the scratching and her poor butt is balding.

Thanks,
Alishia

nswain

Completely Boxer Crazy
Aw, your poor girl... sorry she is in such rough shape! My Grumpy has terrible skin issues so I know how frustrating it can be.
It does sound like allergies... and allergies can change skin chemistry and leave dogs vulnerable to bacterial skin infections. So if your dog does have allergies, and you can't or don't treat them, the bacterial problem will probably keep coming back :(
It's hard to tell sometimes if you're dealing with a food allergy or an environmental allergy. Have you tried giving her antihistamines? Those usually help with environmental allergies (at least reducing the itching a little) but aren't much help with food allergies in my experience.
If you have tried antihistamines without any luck, I would maybe consider switching foods... what are you feeding now?

Jpep

Super Boxer
well I think I may be of help, my girl has had severe allergies and I've gone through everything and spent a ton of $$$ trying to get it straightened out. I'll bet its a food allergy, only because when they are that bad they tend to be something ingested, though it still could be a grass issue if shes rolling in it daily, first step is to limit her out door activities or her food, the food is easier like I told my vet my dog would rather eat hamburg and rice for a few weeks then be limited in her outdoor play time or be a strictly pavement only dog. So first what have you tried to do in figuring out allergy? what do you feed her? any allergy testing? have you tried changing up any household scent or detergents? Also remember these things take time to build and time to go away, you won't see much results until 3-4 weeks have passed that was one of my biggest mistakes I would stop feeding her diary for a week, or different grains for a week or 2 but thats not long enough. So give us a little more info don't worry about the length give us her whole history of her hives and hopefully we can help.

Burton'sMa

Boxer Booster
My boy is going through the same thing....he has lost hair....it looks like a moth go to his coat....it is dry and flaky.....It has been this way for a month and a half.....and has not improved....I have him on antihistamines....and have for years....I think it may be getting ineffective....he has gotten cortisones shots before, but not frequently (because they are dangerous)....I switched him to a home cooked diet...before that he was on Wellness Lamb and Rice.....now I feed him meatloaf with brown rice, broccoli and carrots....I add pumpkin and yogurt...as well as fish oil and flax seed.....still no improvement.....I have now order him Dinovite....it's supposed to help with these types of issues...I also read that it could be a zinc deficit.....cod liver oil is also supposed to be very good......I am at my wits end.....my poor boy....he is 6 and his feet are always so red and itchy....his skin has been terribly flaky as well......I live in the south and my seasonal allergies have been awful this year.....but I still want to do more to help my boy......I'll keep you posted on the dinovite.....check out their website if you are interested.....I saw something at PetCo, but it is perserved with BHT so I don't think I am going to buy it....I wanted to get something until the dinovite arrived...b/c he itches so badly he has scratched himself in one place and he bled.....he looks so miserable......anyone have any suggestions?? Please help me too:(

BXR RYD

Boxer Booster
Bathe in Malaseb shampoo once a week, get some Calm Coat and feed Rabbit & potato food from the vet (Royal Canin) you can also use the Malaseb spray for in between baths, also put them on dermacaps.

Good Luck

ELubas

Boxer Insane
Hello Everyone,

she had a bacteria, they gave her a shot, and two types of medication and it seemed to get a little better for maybe a month and now it is starting up again.
Please help, my baby's throat is all scabbed from the scratching and her poor butt is balding.

Thanks,
Alishia

Did your vet name the bacteria? What meds is your girl on? I assume the shot was a steroid? Recurring like that means she is allergic to something and it is usually a process of elimination to figure out whst but if it is not environmental the fist thing I would do is eliminate all grain form her diet... Poor girl-Good luck

kayboxer

Boxer Insane
My girl had problems too. She would lose the hair on her flank (seasonal flank apneia), dry skin, pink itchy toes, watery eyes...etc. I had her on Innova and switched her to Wellness, which did help some but she had diahreah with that brand, so I researched ingredients and found a fish and potato food and tried that. It has been awesome! Her coat looks great, no dry flaky skin, she hasn't lost her hair on her flank for about 3 yrs now. Her eyes aren't goopy and she doesn't itch all the time. Read about food ingredients Boxers are allergic to mainly on this website and then find a high quality food that doesn't have those ingredients in it. That is what I did and it has made a huge difference! The fish and potato only has one protein source and no grains. Make sure it is HIGH QUALITY though. Also, I bath her in an oatmeal based mild shampoo my vet gave me and it also is very soothing to her skin. Good luck!

Kayboxer

Roxy, 7 yr old brindle female, floppy, docked
Buster, 14 wk old brindle male, cropped, docked

Jpep

Super Boxer
My boy is going through the same thing....he has lost hair....it looks like a moth go to his coat....it is dry and flaky.....It has been this way for a month and a half.....and has not improved....I have him on antihistamines....and have for years....I think it may be getting ineffective....he has gotten cortisones shots before, but not frequently (because they are dangerous)....I switched him to a home cooked diet...before that he was on Wellness Lamb and Rice.....now I feed him meatloaf with brown rice, broccoli and carrots....I add pumpkin and yogurt...as well as fish oil and flax seed.....still no improvement.....I have now order him Dinovite....it's supposed to help with these types of issues...I also read that it could be a zinc deficit.....cod liver oil is also supposed to be very good......I am at my wits end.....my poor boy....he is 6 and his feet are always so red and itchy....his skin has been terribly flaky as well......I live in the south and my seasonal allergies have been awful this year.....but I still want to do more to help my boy......I'll keep you posted on the dinovite.....check out their website if you are interested.....I saw something at PetCo, but it is perserved with BHT so I don't think I am going to buy it....I wanted to get something until the dinovite arrived...b/c he itches so badly he has scratched himself in one place and he bled.....he looks so miserable......anyone have any suggestions?? Please help me too:(

So is he still on home food diet? Whats in the meatloaf? Have you tried eliminating redmeat? and when you have elimiated foods have you giving it atleast a month at a time to see if her improves? Once you've gone through all foods it must be environmental, allergy testing can be expensive (about $350) and not completely accurate but if my boy was that bad i'd do it immediately. Also it could be something in your house, airfresheners, detergents, some type of fabric, dust it could be anything, just keep trying for your boy.

BetsyB

Boxer Insane

The same things happened to my friend's Golden Retriever! She suffered with these symptoms for a while, and meanwhile my friend was eliminating this and that at the advice of her vet. After lots of blood tests, and allergy testing, she discovered the dog was allergic to dust and her carpet!!! Ripping up her carpet was not an option, so her dog now gets allergy shots twice per week. I think without testing, you just can't be sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.