1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skin allergies/ear problems

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by TysonJohnson, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TysonJohnson

TysonJohnson Boxer Pal

My 2 year old male boxer obviously has some sort of allergies. His eyes are red, he scratches a lot, and now has these tiny bumps forming on his skin. When we took him to the vet they gave us steroids and some other medication and it seemed to "help" but nothing has gone away. His ears were also done when he was a pup, but didn't stay up, due to horrible lack of knowledge about cropping ears, he has no hair at the tip of his ear now. We've switched his food to Eukanuba Large Breed adult, and he seems to already be doing better on this after only over a week. Is this a good food for him? Or does anyone have any other suggestions or help to the problems? Also is there anything we could do about his ears?

2. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

Not sure what you were feeding before, but Eukanuba is a pretty low quality food, loaded with a ton of known allergens to dogs.

I might suggest you check out this site:

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

Before putting your pup on steroids did your vet mention anything about seeing if this was a food allergy? My suggestion would be to put him on a limited ingredient diet, one with a protein source that is totally different that what he has been eating. Natural Balance makes quite a few of these formula with one meat source, one carb and are grain free.

3. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

I often find vets prescribing meds to help with the symptoms but offer no assistance in finding the culprit. This area falls under canine nutrition which most vets have limited, tainted by salesmen, knowledge.

I agree with going with a limited ingredient food. My staffy was allergic to almost every ingredient in commercial food and found natural balance limited ingredient to do very well for her. Eagle Pack also makes a good limited one. Food allergies are very hard to assess. It's finding the problem ingredients and the process of elimination that adds the difficulty. I found it was better to go to a limited food and then add a possible allergen to see if any reaction. I found it was just easier to do the limited ingred. food and add cans of meat for interest.

I'd make the switch and see if the symptoms seem to clear up. It may take a month or so to see results, but once you do, it will change the dog for the better and will also be much healthier on quality food.

4. harleyboxer

harleyboxer Super Boxer

I would also try a food trial, but if your dog has a skin infection you need to clear that up before you can really judge if the diet is working. In general food allergies don't respond as well to steroids as other allergies. If it doesn't clear up with food he might have seasonal allergies which would require skin testing to tell what the allergen is. They can be allergic to anything, even cats lol.

5. argosrocks

argosrocks Super Boxer

id try a grain free kibble,but keep in mind food allergies wont clear themselves up overnight,most likely 2-4 months is a better estimate depending on severity.sounds like its a food allergy though to me.

6. sargemom

sargemom Boxer Pal

Vets are all about meds..Sarge had allergy issues until I did a food trial. He is now on Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato and has gotten alot better. He also takes Benadryl daily

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.