Signs of trouble??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaggienDeuce

Boxer Booster
Well this is my first time on BW in about a year (had some internet issues). Anyway in that time, we have welcomed our first skin kid to the world!! A little boy named Noah who is now 8 months olds. My girl Maggie loves the baby and is patient with him petting her and tugging her ears. Deuce is less interested in Noah. Things have been pretty good with the furkids until the last couple of weeks, when Noah started crawling. Deuce has snapped at Noah twice in the last two weeks, both times when Noah crawled over and grabbed him. He never left a mark on the baby, but it did scare him and make him cry. It makes me worry that this is a sign of trouble, that one day something will go very wrong. I know everyone will say to use NILIF and get a behaviorist, but we've been doing NILIF for 2 years and worked with a behaviorist about 1 1/2 years ago after he bit my husband and the lawn guy. We had good results from the training and I thought we were going to be fine when the baby came. I feel like I've worked so hard to help him overcome the damage from his first home, and now here I am thinking it isn't enough and I'll always worry in the back of my mind that he is going to hurt someone. I know being a parent means sometimes you have to make tough decisions to protect your child, and I'm willing to do that if necessary. I just can't believe I'm having to think about this again, especially when he wiggles when I walk in the room and gives you those awesome boxer hugs. I'm totally committed to Deuce, but at the same time there is no way I'm going to put my baby at risk. Really torn right now..

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
First off your baby is VERY young and should ALWAYS be supervised around the dogs. You should probably call your behaviorist back explain the new situation and have them come out and give you some pointers. Also never ever ever leave baby unsupervised with the dogs and you may choose to separate them until you can enlist the help of your behaviorist. I may be able to be overcome, but that's not something you want to do on your own given the nature of it being a young child.

Good luck!

MaggienDeuce

Boxer Booster
First off your baby is VERY young and should ALWAYS be supervised around the dogs.

Oh believe me, leaving the baby unsupervised isn't an option, even when the dogs aren't around!! LOL He's into everything these days! And I hear it gets worse when they start to walk. OMG!

Thanks for the reply. DH and I are going to take our time and explore all the options.

ELubas

Boxer Insane
Guess I would not let the dog around when your son is exploring. Use baby gates (bet you have lots of those :) ) so that your son can roam safely. I am a very paraniod skin and fur Mom and like to err on the side of caution. I never let the dogs around the kids when they were crawling/toddling anyway. Any dog can hurt a child, even unintentionally. Congrats on the birth of Noah-I bet they all keep you very busy-remember sleep :)

djheitz

Boxer Insane
My first thoughts when I read your post were that Deuce may not like sharing 'his' floor space with something as unpredictable as a crawling baby. He may just feel he needs to 'correct' the baby as if he were a pup. I would give the behaviourist a call for some suggestions on de-sensitizing Deuce, at least until Noah is old enough to know what is acceptable in Deuce's mind and what needs a correction.

MaggienDeuce

Boxer Booster
Update - Good News

We haven't seen any snapping or growling in 3 weeks. Most often if Noah is crawling toward Deuce he will get up and walk away, but sometimes he will stay for a bit and let Noah pet him. We are very pleased with the improvement. DH and I just figured that it took Deuce some time to get used to the fact that the baby is mobile now and maybe he was sensing the stress from some major issues at home which have since started to resolve. Thanks everyone for the replies. Now lets hope I haven't jinxed myself by writing this......LOL

MaggienDeuce

Boxer Booster
Forgot to mention that we started finger foods with Noah much to Deuce (and Maggie's) delight. All that food he drops from his highchair doesn't go to waste. I think Deuce believes that Noah is feeding him treats when Noah holds out his little hand covered in food!

djheitz

Boxer Insane
Sounds like he just needed to adjust. Glad to hear he's doing better...I'm sure those unexpected treats are helping!

Status
Not open for further replies.