1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick Puppy!

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by ZigZags, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZigZags

ZigZags Boxer Pal

Aries is almost 9 weeks old. Over the past 3 days he has had some really bad diarrhea. And a runny nose with a greenish yellow discharge. I tried giving his some white rice with his food but that didn't help. He is active and he eats and drinks normally. He also got his first round of shots when he turned 7 weeks old. He got the DH2PP, Bordetella, Roundworm Dewormer, and his Kennel Cough. I also am feeding him Natural Balance Original Ultra Small Bites because he is still so little. Anyone have any ideas?

2. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

Your puppy needs a vet, not an internet forum. ;) I'd suggest you make an appointment ASAP. Let us know how it goes.

3. ZigZags

ZigZags Boxer Pal

If I had the extra cash I would take him in a heart beat. Its going to be at least 2 weeks before I can get him in. I was looking for something that might help him in the mean time.

4. kayboxer

kayboxer Boxer Insane

Can you get him in now and arrange payments? Most vets will work with you if you don't have the cash on hand. :)

5. ZigZags

ZigZags Boxer Pal

Its Saturday here so the earliest I could get him in is Monday. But I'm not to sure on the payment plan deal. Most vets around here are Jerks, and the ones that are good are packed. I'm talking it will take a month or more to get your dog in. I talked to the guy I got him from today and he thinks that he has a cold. Which is plausible, but the diarrhea worry's me. I gave him 1 cc of Children s Liquid Benadryl. Now I'm just gonna see how he does. He's sleeping right now, so hopefully he feels better when he wakes up.

6. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

Get your puppy to the vet or at least call your vet and see what they recommend. Some do offer payment plans.

P.S. Puppies are expensive, might I suggest you start a savings account so the next time something like this pops up you are better prepared.

7. ZigZags

ZigZags Boxer Pal

I know they are expensive. But I live in the economically deprived state of Michigan, so that's a little tough to do. I only work between 1 and 3 days a week and will be starting College again on Monday. I'm not looking for pity or a "Maybe you should of thought of that". Just stating my position at the moment.

8. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

I agree with the others. There are also programs such as Care Credit which is an interest free (for 1 year) credit card that is for medical dental and vet expenses only so you can get treatment now and you have a year to pay the bill before you get hit with finances charges. There's also pet insurance (although there's a monthly fee for this), as well as someone else mentioned simply starting a savings account and putting away $30-$50 per month for emergenies.

You've also stated that your pup got the kennel cough vaccination and the bordatella vaccination...these are the same thing so I'm a bit confused. I also think that Bordatella isn't supposed to be given until 8 weeks of age. Also given that your pup sounds sick, I would hold off on any additional vaccinations until he/she is well. At this age puppy getting sick absolutely NEEDS to go to the vet, as unfortunately there are some puppy illnesses that could kill your puppy in 2 weeks time so it's very important that a pup that young goes to the vet especially given green snot and diarrhea, those can be serious symptoms, including a sign of an infection in which antibiotics could be needed.

Many times if you explain to the vet you need to treat conservatively due to financial reasons they will do their best to keep your bill low.

Good luck.

9. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

Did the vet tell you to give him the benedryl? If not, please don't self medicate your dog. I am glad to hear you have your pup an appt. As BMinAZ mentioned, there are illness that can kill your pup without immediate treatment.

Then why on earth did you get a puppy???

10. ZigZags

ZigZags Boxer Pal

""Well first and foremost because I wanted him. And secondly to get him out of a really bad situation. I knew I could give him a really good home. I've already spent a lot of money on him and this little cold/diarrhea thing he's got going on came during bill week, so what was I supposed to do, huh? I'm not made of money. If you can't offer any advice to help my puppy, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't post. This is getting way off topic.""

P.S. Not trying to be rude, just trying to get my point across.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.