1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showing standard

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by schipperj25, Sep 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColleenAus

ColleenAus Super Boxer

hey mon - this maybe be a silly q's

but why would stellababy be so far from standard?

- colly:)

2. Chewy's Mom

Chewy's Mom Boxer Insane

Hi Colly,

Stella has a long back, short legs, and a long nose. Instead of being square/box shaped, she's kinda oval or egg shaped. :rolleyes: She's definitely a cutie pie, but also definitely not up to standard. I still love her to pieces, though - she's my baby! :D

3. ColleenAus

ColleenAus Super Boxer

hehe thanks for the explanation

thanks mon :)

4. schipperj25

schipperj25 Boxer Booster

I have this same fear. As Chewy's mom said is this crazy?

5. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Courage

There is a good saying that applies here:
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

6. Brutus and Amaya's Mom

Brutus and Amaya's Mom Boxer Insane

Have you seen Brutus? He is a great dog but far from standard. In fact at the last show we were in one of the kennels from out of state asked what he was mixed with :o I said he is papered boxer and thats all he needs for agility and obedience :)

I think that you should give it a shot, maybe attend a few meetings or talk to members to see if it is for you.

7. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

>Stella has a long back, short legs, and a long nose.

Oh, there are quite a few champions who have those qualities

:D

Seriously, look under AKC.org for upcoming shows that include obedience/agility. There are bound to be some boxers entered. Even if there aren't, ask people who don't seem about to go right into the ring where they train, whether they'd recommend it, if there's another club closer to where you live, etc. (Note, there are multiple agility organizations -- I forget their abbreviation, but they have their own sanctioned shows)

At the same time, wander over to the conformation ring and ask people who aren't about to go in the ring who you should speak with about the local boxer club, when its meetings are held, etc.
    If it's a large-ish club, they may well have an Obedience chairman and that could be a person to approach. Certainly they can always use another hand for club work, and might take you under their wing.

8. schipperj25

You know I was thinking that just for fun getting Duke involved in agility. He has got a lot of energy to burn and I think he will enjoy the mental stimulation. What do yall think about that? If he has got boundless amount of energy do yall think this will be good for him?

9. Pooch72

Pooch72 Boxer Booster

From my own research and interest in agility, I know Duke will have to have a good basic obedience with sit, stay, down, and definite recall while off leash for agility. At 18 months they can start the jumps, I believe. Vasha had given me a name of a group in our area -because I was interested in agility for my girls too. So, I definitely have time before Prue can go and Jazz definitely needs more OB work. I'll try to track down the web site for you. I'm thinking it is Dawgagility.com possibly. Try that and see.

In my past experience breeder's who show their own dogs have been more than willing to talk to me at shows when the are not busy. I think the professional trainers with a harem of different breeds are harder to talk to. I do know one of the most experienced professional boxer handlers in the nation lives here in Flower Mound!! My husband spoke with him briefly at the Ft. Worth Dog Show last year when he was busy. He was very polite and asked my husband to contact him after the dog show and told Steve that he was listed in the phonebook. That is while I was looking for Prue last Spring. I always try to spend one whole day at the Ft. Worth Dog Show in March.

We do have the Dallas Boxer Club. They didn't have a working web site last Spring but they may have one now. i found their officers throught the AKC web site. I also contacted them when I was looking for my boxer baby.

Patty

10. schipperj25

Thanks Patty, know I definitly have to get back on the ball and get more ob training. I just figured with all that energy we could find a good outlet for him. You have seen him and know he needs something to get out all his energy in a productive manner. I think something like agility will be good for him and me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.