1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showing standard

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by schipperj25, Sep 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schipperj25

schipperj25 Boxer Booster

I was looking for some advice on showing. Is there a class or someone I can look up to tell me if Duke is of show quality? I dont know if that is what I want to do but I am growing an interest in it and if anyone has experience in showing that could help I would appriaciate it. I dont know if his pictures in my gallery would help. Thanks

2. Jeanne

Jeanne Guest

Local kennel clubs are good sources for experienced show people and classes. Our club has all shorts of classes, from Puppy to handling to agility. Check and see if there is a boxer club in your area. It would have experienced breeders and show people who can look at your dog and help you. You can also go to the World Wide Boxer web site to learn more about conformation. It's an excellent online resource. http://www.worldwideboxer.com

3. Brutus and Amaya's Mom

Brutus and Amaya's Mom Boxer Insane

There may be classes at a local obedience club for confirmation.

Unless you bought a show quality for a show breeder you may have a tough time. Even show quality puppies can be hard to finish.

I also noticed your dog has natural ears. Although I personally love the look it will hurt you chances in the ring. Very few show dogs in the US have natural ears. I do know of one kennel with some natural earred champs but they are the exception. (I saw them show in Des Moines and I was quite shocked to see them there :) ).

I hope to get into showing but Bru and Amaya are pet quality. When the time is right I plan to research kennels, research types and pick out my perfect little champion to show :)

4. schipperj25

I dont think I will show him because he doesnt come from a show line and I need to do a lot more research before attempting to take it on.

5. Brutus and Amaya's Mom

Brutus and Amaya's Mom Boxer Insane

You may want to look into joining your local boxer club. I joined the Iowa club when I began to help with rescue. I have learned SO much about showing from other members and that is when I really got interested in showing.

I also show my dogs in obedience and they have been a big help there as well. You can find your local club at the akc website www.akc.org

6. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

It doesn't matter where he comes from if you want to do if for the fun of it and to gain some experience. You might want to have him evaluated by someone more knowledgeable in Boxers before hand but when showing your dog the judge only sees your dog, the pedigree means nothing...pedigrees are used for breeding, imo. Although, showing and breeding usually go hand in hand they don't have to...you can show just because, if you want to.:) AND, if you're doing it just for fun then what do you have to loose?:D

7. schipperj25

Thanks Alisha
    Thats good to know for the future because as I write Duke is getting neutered.

8. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

Altered dogs can't be shown in conformation. If you wanted to do it just for fun, you would of had to done it before the neuter.;)

9. amnesia

amnesia Boxer Buddy

Neuticals! ;)

10. Muttluvr

Muttluvr Completely Boxer Crazy

I was going to take Apollo to a few shows just for fun (and for me to get experience for the future) but he only had 1 testicle drop! Oh well, we'll probably still take some conformation classes for the heck of it, but no showing for our little uni-ball! smashicon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.