1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show puppy

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by jksjkc, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jksjkc

jksjkc Super Boxer

I'm not sure if it's too late, but I get comments from people all the time about showing our Butch. How do you go about it and is 5 months too late to start?

I think he's gorgeous, but then again, he's mine. How do you find out if your pup is champion potential or not?

2. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

No, it's not too late...actually he's not old enough yet. A puppy must be 6 months of age before it can start competing for points.

It's best to have the dog evaluated by several who know and understand the standard well (long time show breeders, judges, experienced Boxer handlers). But of course, one never knows for sure until the dog starts showing. :)

3. Brutus and Amaya's Mom

Brutus and Amaya's Mom Boxer Insane

Was Butch purchased from a show breeder? Does he have a nice pedigree to back him up? Were his parents shown at all?

You can read up on the standard and compare him to the standard and see how he stacks up.

In my experience- if you did not purchase from a show breeder and do not have a nice pedigree behind you - you will probably have a difficult time. It is hard to show a boxer that is well bred to a CH title- to take a dog that was not bred to be a show dog and show them to a CH title would be a real feat.

I searched for many months for a breeder and had a laundry lists of things I was looking for. She comes from a very long line of Champions and some very nice dogs that had a lot of success in the ring. Even that does not ensure she will be a CH herself and she was evaluated as a puppy by her breeder and many other breeders on her potential.

But-- like Alisha said- the only way to really tell is to have your puppy evaluated by someone that knows the breed. If he is not conformation potential there is always rally, Obedience and agility (which are the real fun sports anyways!).

4. jksjkc

jksjkc Super Boxer

5. Alisha Mobley

No, it's not too late to start his training if you decide to give showing a try. His breeder should be of great help, have you contacted her about this yet? Good luck! :)

6. jksjkc

jksjkc Super Boxer

Thank you Alisha.
    I will do so. It's just she is in Ohio and I am in NJ so it's not like she can mentor me, except through email. :(
    I do talk to her occasionally and send her pictures.

Just when I'm about to give up on the idea, someone will mention that he's too handsome to not show. He also comes from a strong line of healthy boxers without genetic defects and I'm hoping this is the case with him too.
    I just made a phone call to the NJ boxer club, I left a message. I'm going to see if they can give me some tips or opinions on whether or not he has what it takes.

7. Alisha Mobley

Mentoring via email (and phone) can still be very helpful. My main mentor is now located in VA, we'll probably only see each other several times a year at shows but she's still of great help to me. I have several mentors located outside of the US and all have been of great help to me. Not only can your boy's breeder still be a valuable mentor to you, but it's highly likely she can put you in contact with others that are located in or near your area that she trusts. :)

8. Brutus and Amaya's Mom

Brutus and Amaya's Mom Boxer Insane

My breeder/mentor is in Texas and I am in Iowa. I send her emails with pics. I send her videos of Nin in the ring, I barrage her with questions and look to her for advice. She has been wonderful even from far away!

9. axp113

axp113 Boxer Booster

there are a few boxer clubs in the New Jersey/Eastern PA area with a bunch of great members, i myself am a member. i am not sure if i can give out the boxer club websites here but there are links via the american boxer club website if you want to check it out.

10. Darbysmom1

Darbysmom1 Super Boxer

something that I found helpful too was taking my little girl to confirmation classes.. even if you are not going to show him yourself it is good experience for him.. plus you meet more people to help you out the more people tp give you advice the easier the process. also if you are thinking of using a handler they can come out and give you advice on his show quality and pointers on working with him..
    Good luck I am starting with my first show girl too...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.