1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show Puppy...

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by ChevyGrl, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChevyGrl

ChevyGrl Boxer Pal

So I'm considering getting a show puppy down the line. My job allows for me to travel a bit, as well as have the time to enjoy such a sport. I would love to participate in something soooo important to the breed I've come to love over the years, and I think it would be a ton of fun! I have a new Boxer pup (pet pup) at home now, so this wont be happening for a while. I want to get my boy through obedience training, get him into a sport that he would enjoy, get him neutered (I'm waiting until he's 1 year old) and let him mature a bit first. But I'm guessing it could take a year or more to find a show quality pup from a great breeder anyway, so I'm starting to do my research now. And I have some questions!

-What are some basic things most breeders expect of you when you bring home one of their show puppies?

-I know that most are sold on co-ownership until the dog finishes or retires. That is fine. But does the co-ownership mean that the breeders are involved in basic decisions with the dog, such as vet visits, training, what the dog eats, etc? Or is that all up to me? I don't mean paying for the care or training, just basic decisions about those things.

-Are you obligated to take the pup to a certain number of shows? And are you expected to show at certain events? What if the breeder I choose is from a different state?

-Are you expected to try and finish the dog or get "x" amount of points in a certain amount of time?

-Are you allowed to handle the dog in the ring yourself? Or do some/most breeders require you to hire a professional handler?

-Do the breeders require you to breed the dog when it's of age, IF it indeed has a good temperament and has passed all health tests?

Of course I will ask the breeder all of these questions when/if the time comes, but I want to know what I'm getting into first, before I get on a waiting list or even inquire about a show pup! Thanks all!

2. Darbysmom1

Darbysmom1 Super Boxer

Good Questions

These are all good questions and these are all up for debate with the breeder. I have heard of lots of different arrangments and it typically depends on the puppy but just be really careful in letting the breeder have too much control over your puppy. I have heard of lots of newbies getting very upset because the breeder contract was bias towards the breeder because the newbie didn't know what was typical and what wasn't so you need to do what you feel good about and really think about what you are giving to the breeder.
    The main thing I see in regards to a show contract that everyone has is they will most likely require you to hire a professional handler if you can not finish the puppy on your own they may set up a time frame and you will find in the boxer ring there are so many pros it is a huge challenge being a newbie and finishing your first puppy. Again though this is up for debate between you and the breeder.
    Good luck... Very fun and exciting.. You should take your now puppy to same handling classes so you can start learning now.
    Start going to some shows and watching how the handlers are handling their dogs what they do and look for a good mentor to help you on your journey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.