1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

show potential pup...problem

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by jaxsonsmom, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaxsonsmom

jaxsonsmom Boxer Pal

I have a six month old boxer puppy, show potential. Breeder likes the way she has developed, however, about 4 weeks ago, she broke a toe on one of her hind feet, and it has not healed at all. I took her to the vet when it happened, and was told it should heal up just fine, but after 4 weeks this is not the case. The vet is now advising to amputate the toe..What I would like to know is if there is anyone that has had a similiar situation and still tried at least to show their dog. The vet is willing to provide a letter stating that this was due to an injury and not a defect of any kind. I just do not know how this will affect things in a show ring, or if I should just not bother...Either way, she will be staying with me, she is a loving and adorable little girl, and having one less toe will not change that.

2. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

Contact your breeder, they'll know the answer.

3. Darbysmom1

Darbysmom1 Super Boxer

oh no

Oh no that is horrible I am sorry, first I would say what does your vet say other options are? The letter is a waste what are you going to do carry it in the ring and say here judge look in case you were wondering? It is not going to do you any good. Is it on the show side? I think it is going to depend on how noticable it is going to be and how nice the puppy is. If the puppy is outstanding and the toe is not noticable you have a chance if the puppy is nice but not outstanding it is most likely not going to be worth it. There really are a lot of factors and they all boil down to if it is noticable at all if it is going to be very noticable you will most likely be wasting your time trying to finish him if it is not noticable then you may want to see how he does in the ring in some puppy classes see if the judges notice...
    Why does the vet think it will not heal?

4. jaxsonsmom

jaxsonsmom Boxer Pal

Rumor's poor toe...

Darby's mom:

No, It would not be show side. The vet was concerned that this happened four weeks ago, and it was still swollen. She stated that by now it should not be any swelling, and pretty much good as new. After doing an xray, it showed that the bones had not even started to fuse together. In her opinion, this could have been caused by an infection, None found) possiblity of bone tumor ( again none). she also said that after 4 weeks of it not healing the blood supply may have been compromised. So the decision was made to remove the toe. I feel like the worst mom EVER!!! However, the vet feels that this was the best thing to do. The break was not straight across, more on an angle and pretty jagged. Anyway, as I stated, not show side, I may give it a try in some puppy classes and see how it goes. The toe was removed at the first joint, so technically there is just no nail, vet thinks it looks not too bad, but I will just have to wait and see when it heals. If it doesn't work out show wise, then she just remains my very cute and sweet boxer girl!!

Thanks for the reply

5. Darbysmom1

Darbysmom1 Super Boxer

No nail

Well no nail could be a good thing lol since we are always grinding and trimming the crap out of their nails from the time they are born to keep their nails super short lol... plus if it is not on the show side I would be willing to bet most judges will not notice they do not pick up the feet and out door shows there would hardly be a way to tell anyway.. I would say try him out.. Good luck.. Can not wait to see you post your first win brag...

6. Darbysmom1

Darbysmom1 Super Boxer

Do not feel bad

Also do not feel bad it is not your fault boxers have tons of energy and I hear stories all the time of amazing show potential thrown away because the dog did some crazy stunt and injured themselves. A friend of mine who has been breeding and showing boxers for years also a very respected judge has a 3 year old in the ring trying to finish him because he impailed himself and had to have surgery and heal you can not tell anyting happend to him know but it took over a year to heal and rebuilt the muscle..

7. jaxsonsmom

jaxsonsmom Boxer Pal

boxer energy...

Yes, I am aware of their high energy. Rumor is actually my 3rd boxer. Jaxson, the handsome boy in my gallery, and my avatar pic, is my first one, and actually Rumor's dad. I had a plain fawn girl that did not turn out as a show girl, and sadly had to be put down too soon, due to some pretty severe seizures. Anyway, we will just wait until she is all healed up, see how it looks, and then decide with the breeder, who also shows and now judges, if we should give this a show thing a try or not with her. I know the missing toe, is one strike against her, the other may be that I left her ears natural, just because I wanted to try and finish a natural eared dog. So I can just hope for the best!! Again thanks for all the replys, I do appreciate it, and I must say that your dogs are beautiful!

thanks again,

Tammy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.