1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i cut my boxers tail or not?

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by Grungyjoe, Mar 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grungyjoe

Grungyjoe Boxer Pal

my pup is allready 6 months old and has not had her ears or tail cut? is it to late to have this done? should i do it or not?

2. Debbie Magon

Debbie Magon Boxer Pal

NO!!!! Absolutely NOT!!! A pup has his tail docked in the first few days , well before the nervous system has fully developed. If you get his tail done now it is a full amputation , with many weeks before full recovery and you need to be with him day and night to keep an eye on it. A full amputation is a serious operation, and will cause a lot of pain for your dog. Most vets would be loathe to do this surgery now anyway. Ears are definately very painful, more than the tail I expect, and they are usually done at about 8 weeks. Why dont you just love her the way she is?lovicon I bet she is a super Boxer too! Here in NZ we never crop ears, it is illegal and personally I think they look so much cuter and loveable with those soft old ears.Take a peek at my kennel site and see great dogs with natural ears.Debbie @ Camino Boxer kennels

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/boxers/index.html

[Edited by Debbie Magon on 03-26-2001 at 12:43 PM]

3. monty'smum

monty'smum Completely Boxer Crazy

I must agree with the last reply. When I first saw Monty he was only 3 weeks old and It was strange to see the litter with tails intact as it's still quite unusual here. However, it never entered my head to think about docking as I know it must be done within the first few days.
    Have you only just got her? I only ask this as by the time Monty was 6 months his tail was just part of him as everthing else. It can be a real pain when they are excited, and you have to keep everthing precious at a high level. I have to laugh sometimes though as some people think he is a cross breed. They really think Boxers and other breeds are born with short tails.
    Please just enjoy her for what she is.

4. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Please do not post the same topic in more than one forum. This thread is being closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.