Should I be concerned? (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

daisyandduke

Boxer Booster
Last weekend was a big weekend for Daisy and Duke. They went to camp on Saturday and spent the day there, then Sunday they went to a pet Halloween parade. Lot's of action and plenty of activity. After coming home they were tired, they ate, went potty then went to bed.

In the middle of the night, I heard wrestling in the crate (this is not normal). So I got up and found that Daisy regurgitated her food and then did not want to eat her breakfast and threw up 1 more time. Her poop was normal, nice and solid. I gave her some Pepto to settle her stomach. I called the vet and my hubby said to watch her throughout the day to see how she does so we did not make an appointment.

She seemed to be doing better throughout the day. Horsing around with Duke, wiggling her little butt and jumping around. She ate her dinner, but did not finish all of it, and she ate a couple of treats before bed time.

This morning, acted normal, wagging her tail...her potty was normal nice and solid, again she did not eat her breakfast. I tried to put it in the crate to feed her and she "buried" the bowl with her blanket (very odd). Tried to coax her with some wet food and she was not interested in that either. She is back in her crate napping.

This is not normal behavior for her, she usually gets right up to eat and loves her treats and wet food, but this morning she would have none of it. She sniffs it and turns her head away. I gave her some Pepto this morning again (it seemed to help her yesterday) but I am thinking it may just mask the real issue. I will try to feed her later today to see if she goes for it.

I am a first time Boxer mommy and my hubby said that I am being paranoid to be concerned. Not sure what it could be. Maybe it was the excitement of the weekend and she is trying to recover? Maybe she contracted something over the weekend or picked up something from the ground while I was not looking? This is very odd behavior for her.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

joannaryan

Boxer Insane
If she's not throwing up anymore and feeling good, as in playing with her brother and wiggling around I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think we all have picky little boxers when the notion hits them. She will eat when she gets hungry. Now if she is still throwing up and lathargic, then yes I would call the vet. More than likely the weekend wore her out and she is just recooperating. Now thats just my opion :)

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
If she's not throwing up anymore and feeling good, as in playing with her brother and wiggling around I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think we all have picky little boxers when the notion hits them. She will eat when she gets hungry. Now if she is still throwing up and lathargic, then yes I would call the vet. More than likely the weekend wore her out and she is just recooperating. Now thats just my opion :)

I agree. She could have very likely picked up something from the ground, like food droppings. I'd wait it out a little longer. She's almost back to her old self, sans the meals. Sounds to me that Her belly just ain't up to food yet.

DycksDogs

Boxer Pal
Daisy is more than likely just having a few off days.

But because you mentioned 'regurgitating' and 'not interested in food', these are symptoms of a condition that my Cooper has called mega-esophagus.

Other symptoms can include:weight loss, fever, nasal discharge, coughing, swallowing difficulty or exaggerated and/or frequent swallowing, frequent attempts to clear throat (hacking), sour and/or foul smelling breath.

Cooper was energetic and played like a normal puppy until one day, after burning around the yard, he collapsed (more than likely due to not getting enough oxygen because he had pneumonia). Because he was so energetic and active, we had no idea he was sick.

Chances are that Daisy does not have this condition, but watch for these symptoms as it can develop quickly into aspirated pneumonia.

Hope it's just a bug and she gets back to her normal self soon!

daisyandduke

Boxer Booster
I went to the vet to get her checked out the other day (I could not stand it!) and the vet said that she had really bad gas in the stomach and gave her some Flagyl & Cerenia to relax the stomach. The vet said chances are she is a bit nauseous and maybe picked up something at the fair. She is still not eating normal. Not eating all of her food and she did not eat any food today. I gave her some rice and she had a few handfuls of that, which is good. She is turning away from her regular food, even the canned food! She is not as energetic today, I am thinking because she is not getting enough food and she is low on energy. She only wants to nap and sleep now.

Now I am just afraid that she is not getting the nutrients her body needs to be healthy. Any suggestions on what I can give her? I am thinking of taking a fecal sample to the vet tomorrow and getting it tested to make sure that she does not have any worms or parasites.

She is going potty less too, which makes sense because she is eating less. Sigh....I hate being so worried.....I do not like that she is not her normal self.

daisyandduke

Boxer Booster
So I had to go to the vet and get Daisy re-checked today because she has no appetite again and she is not drinking water either and she started getting the shakes, which I know is a sign of pain and discomfort in dogs.

Vet took a couple of x-rays and they found that her tummy is very irritated. The gave her some sub-q fluids to replenish some nutrients and another tummy pill. She must have picked up something while we were at the parade, that is the only thing I can think of. They also took a fecal sample and I should get the results by tomorrow, I just want to be sure that she did not pick up a parasite along the way.

So now Daisy is on a very plain diet of rice and low-fat cottage cheese. I gave her a small portion for dinner and she ate it up like it was going out of style. It made me happy to see her excited about eating again. :)

Keeping my fingers crossed that things will look up the next couple of days with the new tummy pill. I just knew something was not right about her. I just know her very well. I have seen her tired before, but this was very different and it seemed to get worse as the week went on. I am just glad that she did not have any sort of blockage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.