1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shiny Coat?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by jenniemitchell, Oct 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenniemitchell

jenniemitchell Boxer Booster

I was searching old threads for some direction on vitamins and natural additives, mostly to shine up D.'s coat. Wow! What a variety of responses I ran into!

There are differing views on everything from vitamin tabs, garlic and onions, cheese, to whatever!

Does anyone have a reco. for helping shiny coats?

2. boxermom5

boxermom5 Super Boxer

Mine have always had very nice coats. I think it has alot to do with the quality of food they consume. I have heard that putting a little veg oil in their food helps with their coat - we tried this on a dobie but then found out her problems stemmed from thyroid disease so the meds fixed the coat problem.

3. BXRmum

BXRmum Boxer Booster

I used to add a small amount (1 tsp.) of oil into their food once a day and it did help a little bit. My boxers always look their shiniest right after a bath though so that's just what I do - bathe them once a month or so. Some boxers are just alot softer and shinier than others. I think alot also has to do with the quality of food you feed and the vitamins and ingredients in it.

4. Scrapper's Mom

Scrapper's Mom Boxer Insane

Feed them a raw egg once or twice a week. Mine sometimes eat the shells, too. Olive oil is good too. Give them one tablespoon several times a week over their food.

5. harley'smama

harley'smama Boxer Insane

Once I started feeding Harley Nutro a couple months ago his coat is shiny. I didn't figure I'd be able to notice because he's white but I can tell!! I also give him a teaspoon of flaxseed oil once a week

6. eduncan

eduncan Boxer Booster

I too believe it has a lot to do with the quality of food. Mahlon's coat is super shiny all the time since we switchedhim to Wellness.. He's so shiny he looks just-bathed every day!

7. Raynas mom

Raynas mom Completely Boxer Crazy

When we first started feeding Nutro we really didn't see a change in their coats....but as soon as we switched to Innova...it was amazing...they stated going #2 less their coat's got very shiny....Our Vet even asked us what we were feeding because they look so good. I think its all in the food you feed.

Good Luck ;)

8. Robyn

Robyn Completely Boxer Crazy

Cooper swears by a jar of Vaseline! Of course it will give you dead grass in the back yard too! ;) smashicon

9. ASTNC

ASTNC Boxer Booster

I have read that it is the omegas 3 and 6 that help a coat stay nice. These are included in many kibbles, vatious foods, and the oils people mentioned they are putting in their food. I use derm tabs concentrated liquid which contains both 3 and 6.

10. Bosco'sMom

Bosco'sMom Super Boxer

I agree that the food you feed has alot to do with it.
    I have found that regular brushing and grooming also helps. Gets rid of some of that dead hair and dirt and also increases the oils in the skin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.