1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shedding, how do you stop it?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by fordraceing_, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fordraceing_

fordraceing_ Super Boxer

ok, both of my white boxers shed like crazy, and im curious what if anything i can do to stop or at least make it better, what is the best brush? and how often? right now about once a week i use one of them rubber mits with the nipples, also food, i right now am feeding them both diamond lamb and rice, i know its not the greatest but its also not the worst, the best food i can get around here is chicken soup, would that make much differnce? also rocky has some yellow patches around his face and the vet says its just his skin and to give him some derm caps and that will clear it up, she also said i should give it to both dogs and it will help stop sheding, also i was thinking about starting missing link again, would that do anything for shedding? is there anything more i can do will any of that stuff help much? i mean someone comes in the house and the dogs go by them and there allready covered in hair its reducilious.

thanks

2. Net45582

Net45582 Banned

Nutrition plays a huge role in the condition of the coat. I would start with a better quality food.

3. elvis_baby

elvis_baby Boxer Insane

Elvis has just gone through shedding his winter coat, it was crazy, in the morning he would up and leave a fur blanket behind.

I have been brushing him every evening in the garden but i dont know of anything that will stop it, its just a natural thing, but if anyone knows of something let me in on the secret.

4. tysons world

tysons world Banned

Nutrition plays a big factor from I was told and found to work for Tyson is chicken and lamb dog food.also every month we take Tyson for grooming that is half the battle, also they have a all natural shampoo product that is suppose to reduce shedding by 80% it seems to help Tyson I hope this helps you.

5. fordraceing_

fordraceing_ Super Boxer

so would the derm caps and missing link do much or just the food?

6. Net45582

Net45582 Banned

I add fish oil capsules to Chanceys Timberwolf since her coat was so dry. A high quality food will definitely help while supplements may give a "jump start" to the improvement.

7. TracyandSam

TracyandSam Completely Boxer Crazy

We give our Lab Missing Link and I seen a noticeable difference. I only have to sweep/swiffer the floors once a day now...instead of a half dozen times :LOL:

8. Net45582

Net45582 Banned

I've heard if your dog is prone to allergies you don't want to use Missing Link.....don't know if that's true. I'm not sure what is in it-perhaps Flax seed?,which some dogs are allergic too

9. K8IE

K8IE Boxer Insane

I would most definitely give the Chicken Soup a try. It is made by the same company as Diamond, but is their premium food and is much better nutritionally. I actually include Chicken Soup in the food rotation for Killian and he does great on it and he loves the taste. I have used Missing Link and it does help, but the diet change would help tremendously. :)

10. Super Boo

Super Boo Completely Boxer Crazy

I started giving my dogs a half tablespoon of ground flax with a couple of tablespoons of cottage cheese daily. They "blew their coats" --horrible shedding about 2 mos later. Now they have gorgeous shiney coats with very minimal shedding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.