1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

She went in!

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by cfhtlhii, Apr 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cfhtlhii

cfhtlhii Boxer Booster

Well, we decided to have Princess's ears done. She went in this morning. She is also having her tail and dew claws done today. She was too small to have them done when she was younger. I am really nervous about it all. Anyway, I was wondering what I should expect tomorrow when I go pick her up. My vet won't be racking the ears till after 2 weeks once the stitches are removed. So I want to be prepared for what I will see.(be kind)
    Thanks!
    Connie

2. Cayenne's Mom

Cayenne's Mom Boxer Insane

Cayenne's ears were not that shocking when I picked her up. I was expecting much much worse. If you look in my gallery there is some pictures of her ears. Cayenne likes to scratch and she did manage to get one or two of the stitches out. I did find some neosporin that had an anti-itching agent in it and that seemed to help. I also put a lot of Destin on the spots where the Vet shaved her ear fur. It seemed to help the itching. If you have other dogs be sure to keep a watchful eye on them because they may want to lick the pups wounds. I have not ever heard of doing the tail and dew claws at a later stage. I hope everything goes well.

3. cfhtlhii

cfhtlhii Boxer Booster

Thanks!
    I looked at your gallery, how long after the ears were done were those pics done and how long did it take for them to stand so beautifully?
    My vet didn't want to put her under twice to do the ears and tail/dew claws seperate when I got her at six weeks, so he waited till she was old enough to get the ears done and is doing them all at once.
    I just called and they said she just got out and is doing great. I miss her so much:( !
    Thanks for all the tips!
    Connie

4. Cayenne's Mom

The picture with her sitting was the evening I brought her home. Her ears basis stood immediately. I taped them for 3 weeks and they stood for a week and then completely fell. I was so worried. I think it was because she was teething. Then I had her breeder tape them and she racked them as you called it. Cayenne hated this. Eventually she got them both untaped and they have been standing ever since. But if you do a search on ear crop you will see that each dog is different. Be prepared to have lots of cuddling and time with your baby when you bring her home. They need extra TLC when they have been gone over night.

5. cfhtlhii

cfhtlhii Boxer Booster

Cuddling! For sure!
    I told my hubby to be prepared cause she will be sleeping with us for an indefinite period of time.
    How would I find someone to rack the ears for me if my breeder isn't able to?
    Thanks!
    (sorry for all the questions)

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Boxer Insane

Just glad to know all went well.

7. cfhtlhii

cfhtlhii Boxer Booster

She's home!

She is doing really good. :) The only thing that seems to be bothering her is where her tail was. She is resting Finally! She was so glad to see me she wouldn't stay in her seat during the ride home, she was right in my lap. I will take a couple of pics and post them after she has rested. It really doesn't look as bad as I thought it might. One week then the stitches will be removed and her ears will be taped for the first time.
    Connie

8. Cayenne's Mom

The Vet that did Cayenne's ears taped her ears the first few times. He only charged $20 a time. At the last visit he showed me how to do it and gave me some tape. When they fell after standing that is when I tried the new approach. I am so glad she is doing well. Give her a hug from Cayenne and me :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.