1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

She is so uncoordinated

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by violetashlee, Mar 21, 2017.

1. violetashlee

violetashlee Super Boxer

Hi Boxer friends. I used to visit boxerworld frequently. My visits are less often now, but I do check in every once in awhile.

Anyway. So, I have this boxer puppy. She's around 14 month now. She is great and I just love her. The thing is, she is really uncoordinated. It's hard to explain, so let me just list a few examples.

She has no idea where the treat is in my hand, so, she just engulfs my whole hand when taking a treat. She is gentle about it, but my hand is covered in slobber after a walk. Every other dog I've owned know exactly where to find the treat in my hand.

The treat catching game. Poppy cannot catch treats which is also unlike any other dog I've met. If you toss her a treat, she cannot catch it to save her life. She tries, but it always bounces off her face and then she eats it off the floor.

She REFUSES to jump on things (really odd for a boxer). And for most things, I am grateful for that. But getting in the car is a nightmare, and the bigger she gets, its going to get worse.

She doesn't seem to really know where her body is. She is in a training class right now. The trainer's feedback? "She's physically awkward" It just reinforces that I am not the only one who notices. Its a bunch of little things that are just a little off. Oh, and the trainer cant get her to jump on things either.

Does anyone else have a boxer like this? Are there some that are not as athletically inclined?

Here she is on the right. This is an old pic and she is much bigger now, but I wanted to show her off.
    poppy and violet.jpg

2. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

Skully lacks grace, but he can find food. Boy! Can he find food! And he has no problem jumping. He has to to avoid the things he doesn't realize are closer than what he thought. Lol.

For peace of mind, I would have your vet check her vision.

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Boxer are like people, some are just more coordinated than others. She looks very leggy in the picture. I realize the picture was taken awhile ago, but maybe she still needs to grow into her body. Some boxers don't mature until 3 years old. With lots of exercise, she may become more coordinated as she gets older.

My Allie is the most athletic boxer, I have ever had, but she refuses to jump in the car. She just can't seem to figure it out, but I think it is partly lack of desire as she hates going for car rides. She is totally opposite from Dante, as he loves car rides. :)

bxrbgood likes this.