She ate the cat's food!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goolia83

Boxer Booster
Unless Howie the cat was VERY hungry yeturday, I think Roxy ate his food when DH and his friends were "watching" her. Today she woke me up to go outside. She has NEVER done that before, she always waits until I wake up to go out. she had a really big poop, the last part of it was getting runny and then peed, and then kept squating like she was pooping, but nothing was coming out. Then after a while a few drops ran out and I called her inside so she wouldn't hurt herself squeezing so much. Later today DH called and said she had a complete diariah blowout and then some blood. Poor little girl! She was acting kind of strange all day - not playing with her toys and bugging me a lot more than usual. He said he noticed she was acting strange, but after she had the runny/watery poo she was much more like herself. Has anyone else seen or heard of dogs getting this sick from cat food? (She eats Chicken Soup and so does the cat.) Should I take her to the vet right away or wait a day?

Lunasmom

Boxer Insane
I would see how she is when you guys get up this morning...then maybe call the vet and see what they think, they may just sum it up to the cat food...or they may want to see her...with the blood though i would lean on bringing her in.

Goolia83

Boxer Booster
Oh NO!

She went again in her crate while DH was sleeping! And then again after he took her out! DH thinks the blood was from her squeezing so hard earlier, there wasn't any these last few times. Should I switch her over to chicken and rice right away? or stick out her normal food for a day?

dharmadoodle

Boxer Pal
Because of the blood you should call your vet.

As for the cat food, it shouldn't have a bad effect. I know lots of dogs that have been on a cat food diet, as it's lower in fat.

Although, it may have had an ingredient that your dog is allergic to that you never knew about before.

Mollie_T

Banned
I'd call the vet just to be on the safe side. Straining or something in the cat food could have irritated her to make her pass blood. In the mean time, I'd give her some boiled chicken or hamburger & rice if she seems hungry. Hope she feels better soon :)

AJsMom

Super Boxer
I would call the vet as well - it very well could be the cat food - but AJ gets into Wally's cat food quite often (like everytime one of the kids knocks down the baby gate at the bottom of the stairs) and he doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

Donna1969

Boxer Insane
Blizzy always thought she was entitled to eat cat food. She ate it all the time if we didn't watch her like a hawk. We stopped it by putting the cats food up high where Blizzy wouldn't try to get it.

Blizz never had any problems after eating cat food. No poop problems and NEVER any blood in the poop after eating cat food.

I say call the vet for the reason of the blood.

Goolia83

Boxer Booster
She had another acident this morning in her crate, but then didn't go #2 until 4pm and it was solid and normal!!! YEAH!

The cat food is up on the cat tower, but she learned how to jump from the couch to get onto it, so I had to move it to the top level. We feed the cat every three days, so she ate about 1.5 to 2 cups of cat food in one sitting! That must have been it!

AJsMom

Super Boxer
I'm glad to hear she's doing better - boy isn't it scary when our babies our sick?? I always said with my skin kids that I'd be glad when they could talk to tell me what' wrong - now they CAN and AJ CANT!! Go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.