1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

She ate a whole tube of neosporin!

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by BaileyWailey, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaileyWailey

BaileyWailey Super Boxer

Yesterday I was at the hospital visiting my friend and her baby who is in NICU so I had to have my phone off. While I was gone Bailey decided to eat a tube of neosporin. My mom looked at the precautions and it said to call poison control immediately if swallowed by children. So she called the emergency vet first and they told her to call posion control. She did and they charged her $50 freaking dollars to tell her she will probably be puking and have diarrhea within the next hour. 50 bucks, I couldn't believe it I thought it was a free service.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't have called, but now I'm out 50 bucks. And she never puked either. She's becoming such a little punk (almost 10 months) grabbing everything off counters and chewing everything up. But I'm glad grandma cares so much about her little grandpup.

2. sgbtab

sgbtab Banned

wow!!! I never knew they charged either. thank goodness that I have never used them yet.I don't know what it would do to eat neosporin but make her poop a little easier.(all the grease) but I am glad that she is ok. those little boogers always find something to get into.

3. beausmommy

beausmommy Boxer Insane

I knew they charged, but I didn't know it was $50! I wouldn't have called because I put neosporin on Beau's scar after his neuter and he licked it off without incident. He has a stomach of steel. He can eat anything without getting sick. It's always better to be safe than sorry, though! My mom probably would have rushed Beau to the vet to avoid the wrath I would bring down on her for not watching her granddog closely enough! She gave Bailey roast beef one time and he got sick so she took him to the vet! She had to pay for a vet visit, tests, and a bland wet food for him. Needless to say, she doesn't feed the boys table scraps anymore!

4. hldavis

hldavis Completely Boxer Crazy

I had no idea they charged! I also thought it was a free service. Boy I would of received a shock! Does the payment come out of a phone bill or do you have to pay via credit card for the advise? I can't imagine digging for a credit card while a animal/child is sick. I'm sorry but that is crazy! That should be something the government oversees and should be paid for out of our tax money.

5. Rufust

Rufust Boxer Pal

Double check this with your vet, but you can use hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting when a dog eats something it shouldn't have and you can catch it within 30-45 minutes. Rufus chewed up a bottle of nasal spray a couple weeks ago and although my vet said it was probably harmless, he suggested 3 tbsp of hydrogen peroxide (Rufus weighs about 50lbs). To my suprise, he lapped it right up like water and was vomiting within 5 minutes. The reason I say check with your vet is because I'm not sure if peroxide will have an adverse or dangerous reaction with certain things, like neosporin.

6. BaileyWailey

BaileyWailey Super Boxer

I thought so, but my mom thought I was insane when I told her that. I was not there at the time, so I could not use any of my boxerworld knowledge. She seems to feeling okay even though she never puked it up so I'm not really too worried.

7. Vela

Vela Boxer Insane

Just a note, never give your dog peroxide to induce vomiting unless you are sure about what it ate. Some things, if vomited back up, can cause more damage on the way back out. Always safe to check with a vet (phone call) before inducing unless you are sure what they ate is safe to throw back up. Just info for those who may read this about the peroxide and not realize some things shouldn't be thrown back up.

Good thing your pup is okay, I never knew Poison Control charged either, that's nuts 50 bucks, sheesh.

8. JulieC

JulieC Boxer Pal

Animal posion control is totally different than people posion control. I believe the human version is free because of the government funding.

I called for the first time a couple months back and was surprised as well. It was one of those things I was pretty sure it would be okay, but wanted to double check. The operator was nice enough to assure me that more than likely I was safe, so I didn't proceed with paying. I waited the extra 5 minutes until my vet came back from lunch and talked her direct instead.

Still a good resource though for a backup when in an emergency.

9. tesster

tesster Boxer Insane

I learned this when Tess ate some vitamins in the middle of the night. I called poison control for advise on what to watch for and whether or not I needed to take her to the ER. I thought they said they charged $15 not $50. When that point was clarified, I told them that they were crazy if they thought that I was going to pay them $50 so that they could tell me to take her to the emergency vet who would then charge me another $50 to tell me she's fine or not fine after actually examining her.

I don't get them at all. What's the point in the middle man if the cost to talk to them is the same or more expensive as an actual vet examination?

Sorry you're out the $50. In grandma's defense, though it's much better to error on the side of caution, especially with ingested poisons. :) I'm glad the pup wasn't sick. Tess loves neosporin and licks it right off whatever I put it on. I don't know what it is about that medicine.

10. Taren

Taren Completely Boxer Crazy

yeah this weekend maverick got into the trash and there was an onion in the floor i couldnt tell if he had eaten any but i wanted to be on the safe side so we called the er vet and they said that they had to eat alot of onion for it to be toxic and they said i can give you a number that can give you more info. they charge 50.00 to call. we were like no its ok. 50 dollars its crazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.