Severe Allergic Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzie

Boxer Insane
On last Saturday afternoon Dora got stung by a bee (I think it was a bee). To cut a long scary story short, within 5 mintues she had trouble breathing and we made what has to be the fastest trip to the vet ever (broke all road rules and speed limits :eek:). I had to carry her in as she couldn't stand at all and tongue was hanging out and she was having massive trouble even breathing. She got a shot of antihistimine and within a short time was feeling much better. Also got prednil to give her over the next week.

Now this is all fine if I am at home, but when I am at work and if this happened she would be a goner and I know that there is nothing I can do, but it still absolutely terrifies me.

Is there anything that I can give her on an ongoing basis to try and mitigate the reaction? I know I may be clutching at straws, but thought I would ask.

Worst part is that last evening she went after another bee :( - its coming into spring. When I growled at her and told her to leave it she did, but I can't watch her 24/7.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
How scary! I had a teacher that had a similar thing happen with her dachshund. I don't know about any on going preventative treatment, but she got an epi-pen (a pre-dosed shot of epinephrine) to keep should her dog get stung again. That way even though she would still need to take her dog to the vet she wouldn't need to break every road rule there was to get there. All I can say about prevention when you aren't home is to keep your pup inside.

natedogg

Boxer Pal
Two of my four boxers (as well as my wife) are severely allergic to bees. I have found that the best way to keep them safe is to hunt the nests down and eradicate them. Aggressive bees don't fly too far from the nest, so if you can clear any nests that are in the immediate area that seems to do the trick. The best method I have found is to set traps in early spring to catch the queen before she starts a hive. You can find traps, or even how to build your own, online.

Status
Not open for further replies.