1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

separation anxiety?

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by ShabbyAbby, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShabbyAbby

ShabbyAbby Boxer Pal

We have a 9 week old pup (we've had her 2 weeks). She has grown very attached to me, as I am home more than my husband, I take her out, feed her etc. We crate her each night and during the day for the few hours in between my husband going to work and me coming home. She is great during the day, maybe a little barking, no accidents. At night its another story. The first night we crated her she cried and whined, much expected. After getting her up and out I layed on the floor in front of the crate with her and she went right to sleep. Now, each night she will not fall asleep unless I am right there with her. We want to try to figure out the best way to make it easier for her in the crate. We do have the crate in our bedroom and she can see me from the bed but unless i'm on the floor with her she will bark and cry. I know I have probably not helped with the problem but I want to try to correct it before it goes on any longer. I know we should let her be and she'll eventually calm down, but we live in a townhome with neighbors on either side and we cannot let her bark late at night. Any suggestions would be much apprecaited :)

2. Please Work

Please Work Boxer Booster

Our baby cried for two weeks when we brought her home - my husband "slept" with her one night and the following night she was even worse so I would advise against giving in.
    We gave her a "surrogate litter mate" (stuffed dog toy) radio on a talk-back program volume set low, a hot water bottle and made sure she wasn't hungry (I found giving her a bit of "puppy milk" was enough to fill her tummy and just like a skin baby - full tummy and she went off to sleep). During the two weeks I let my son sleep with me as his room is next to where puppy sleeps and basically shut my door and tried to ignore it! She figured out eventually the barking, crying, whining, howling, yapping (yes we had it all) wasn't working and gave up.
    Hope this helps, I know you feel mean but they are like skin kids: if a certain behaviour whether good or bad means that they get your attention they will just keep doing it.

3. StellaCT

StellaCT Boxer Buddy

I feel your pain. The first few weeks we brought our pup home, my husband also would lay down next to the crate until she fell asleep then he would get in bed. Our puppy would cry and whine in the crate for soooo long. A few things really helped: we changed the crate from a plastic side crate to a wire crate so she could see our bed, we also put in a hot water bottle and that made her feel better almost right away. Just hang in there...it gets better!!

4. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

The best advice I ever got was:

"Don't start anything you aren't willing to do for the life of the kid".

LOL. So true!

In this case, gotta warn your neighbors and tell them it won't take but a few days to get him acclimated to his crate. Then hand them earplugs and thank them for their understanding and patience.

Hopefully, they will ride it out with you. But it shouldn't take long as long as you stick to your guns and don't cater to the cries.

5. beatmincer

beatmincer Boxer Pal

Help! Our boxer eats everything!

Hi!

We have a lovely 7-month old boxer. Whenever we leave the house for more than just a short while, he has a go at whatever gets in his way: candles, panties, cardboard boxes, christmas ornaments, greeting cards, cleenex boxes - anything "on display" on top of tables, benches etc.

The thing is - he gets PLENTY of excersize - he gets to run berzerk in the woods, plays around with the neighbours' dogs etc.

I'm suspecting separation anxiety here, but he's 7 months old, so I imagine he would have gotten over that by now. Does his teeth itch, or is he just seizing the opportunity to be a bad boy?

Any help greatly appreciated!

6. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

Good excercise for a dog is a 20-30 min walk. It gets his body AND brain working. Their brains need a good excercise too for him to get tired. Running and playing with other dogs is just that, play. Not mind working excercise. His brain may be a little bored when he is alone. Increase your training time and more often throughout the day. Do a 20 min walk in the morning or before his alone time and a good walk in the evenings. You will see him resting more than being bad.

Kick up the training, and get walking!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.