Sensitive Tummy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunoMila

Boxer Pal
My boxer is 10 months old now and has been having issues with digestion (believe me, you don't want to know details) ever since we got her at 6 weeks old. I've been to the vet so many times over these issues and have yet to really receive any clear answer. We changed her food several months ago to a prescription food at the vet's recommendation (the Purina ProPlan sensitive stomach formula that one vet suggested didn't help) - Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low-fat. The vet said it's basically a dry food equivalent to chicken and rice. I can tell that the food is helping because with other foods she was finicky about eating, but now she gobbles it right up. However, at $72.00 a bag and a growing boxer it is EXPENSIVE. I was wondering if anyone else had any similar issues and what you've tried that's worked. I was looking at Simply Nourish Chicken and Rice at Petsmart, but I also don't want to go messing around too much with her food. Any thoughts?

Kisaq

Super Boxer
You will need to look closely at the ingredients list (in order), and compare it to any alternative food. The items on the ingredients list is from highest percentage to lowest percentage in the food. Thus, if the first ingredient is corn - there is more corn in the food than anything else.

Keep in mind that "Chicken-meal" is just a more concentrated version of "Chicken". And "Chicken bi-products" is all the scrapings off the floor...

That will be the only way you will find something similar.
You'll need to avoid any ingredient that is not on the original formula. Usually, L.I.D foods are better for sensitive tummies, and Grain free usually helps the boxers as they tend to be allergic to grains.

Also, I would look into finding a quality pro-biotic (some are basically useless).

Good luck!

MichBoxerMom

Boxer Buddy
I feel your pain.... We have had problems since my boy was 8 months old and he is now 16months old. We are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. After thousands in vet bills. I cooked chicken and rice for a few days and then switched a dehydrated food Honest Kitchen. The one I use you have to mix in your protein source but they have several options available. I always have Pepcid on hand!! Try using one protein source for a few weeks= I went with burger and always rinse well because some boxers have problems with the fat content.

JunoMila

Boxer Pal
You will need to look closely at the ingredients list (in order), and compare it to any alternative food. The items on the ingredients list is from highest percentage to lowest percentage in the food. Thus, if the first ingredient is corn - there is more corn in the food than anything else.

Keep in mind that "Chicken-meal" is just a more concentrated version of "Chicken". And "Chicken bi-products" is all the scrapings off the floor...

That will be the only way you will find something similar.
You'll need to avoid any ingredient that is not on the original formula. Usually, L.I.D foods are better for sensitive tummies, and Grain free usually helps the boxers as they tend to be allergic to grains.

Also, I would look into finding a quality pro-biotic (some are basically useless).

Good luck!

What is L.I.D.?

Finky

Boxer Pal
Im having the same problems. my pup is 5 months has tried... Wellness puppy, vet put him on iams sensitive stomach ( hate that stuff), merrick, canine caviar, Science diet id( prescribed from another, basically corn that made his loose weight), acana grasslands, now today its royal canine( crap to but i have no choice anymore). idk what to do anymore. i wat him on a high quality food. price really isnt an option.

bxrbgood

Boxer Insane
We have have had several Boxers with sensitive stomachs thru the years. We've tried lots of different foods. Currently Ginger (with the sensitive stomach) does best on Fromm Chicken À La Veg formula. We have been feeding that to our Boxers for a year or two now. It's not grain free but they seem to like it and do well on it without growing tired of the taste.

JunoMila

Boxer Pal
Im having the same problems. my pup is 5 months has tried... Wellness puppy, vet put him on iams sensitive stomach ( hate that stuff), merrick, canine caviar, Science diet id( prescribed from another, basically corn that made his loose weight), acana grasslands, now today its royal canine( crap to but i have no choice anymore). idk what to do anymore. i wat him on a high quality food. price really isnt an option.

My Juno was being fed Iams when we got her at 6 week old. I switched her as soon as I could to Blue Buffalo puppy formula. When that didn't help the vet suggested I try an adult formula because the puppy food can be too rich. So I tried Blue Buffalo grain free adult. Still not any improvement. From there the vet told me to try Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach. No improvement. At that point I switched vets. They told me to put her on the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal formula. She's been on that now for probably 4 months and absolutely nothing has improved. I just got a sample package of Sojo's food and she LOVED it. Normally when you put food down for her she'll sniff at it and then walk away. She'll kind of nibble at it, but she never scarfs it right down. Withe the Sojo's as soon as I opened the bag she was right under my feet wanting to get at it. As soon as I put the bowl down she immediately gobbled it up and licked the bowl until it was shining clean. I'd say that just that alone is a sign that it's better than the kibble crap. It was only one serving so I can't say yet whether it has helped her tummy, but I ordered a large bag and am anxious for it to get here so I can post about it.

Sojo's is only slightly cheaper than Royal Canin (according to the suggested serving size...I can't say how long a bag will last since I haven't gotten one yet) BUT it is all natural, REAL, USDA approved, freeze dried human grade veggies, fruits, and meats. For me, if it helps my girl to be healthy it is worth the cost. You mix it with water and let it sit over night. Once it rehydrates it looks just like you chopped up veggies. They have mixes with turkey or beef and they have a base mix that is just veggies and fruit and you can cook and mix in your own meat source. I've read A LOT of reviews and A LOT of reviews from boxer parents and it seems really promising. I'll be sure to update once she's had a couple of weeks to try it out, but in the mean time the website is sojos.com. Definitely something to look into.

JunoMila

Boxer Pal

Also, I just found that if you look on chewy.com or other pet supply sites the Sojo's and most foods are cheaper than directly from the Sojo's website by about $10. I don't know what the prices are like in stores. There are no stores near where I live that carry it.

Status
Not open for further replies.