1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Tan ~ Which brand do you use?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Louise501, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roscoesmommy

Roscoesmommy Completely Boxer Crazy

I am a very pale person by nature (my mother is a redhead) so I have tried EVERYTHING to get a tan. I have tried the booths, spray on tan booths, lotions, foams, creams, etc. You name it, I've tried it. The best self tanner I have found to date is L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Gel. It is a gel that you rub on and let dry (only takes about 5 minutes). It takes a few hours to show up, but when it does, it looks VERY natural. No orangy tint to it. It is hard for something to look natural on my WHITE skin, but this works great. Some tircks I have learned in the many years I have been doing this...one, when you shower, use a rough sponge (not a loofah, you need something stonger) and put a little soap on it and SCRUB!! This exfoliates your skin in order to get all the dry skin off so the tanner doesn look uneven. Two, while you are applying the tanner, wash your hands often. I wash between every limb of my body. Make sure you scrub in between your fingers, your palms, and on your wrists. This is where most people miss and end up with blotches. Lastly, when putting it on knees and feet, dont squeeze a separate amount on there, just use remnants of what is on your legs already. This makes less tanner on your feet and knees, which are very prone to blotches and streaks. It may take you a few times to perfect it, but it is worth it when you dont get skin cancer!!!

2. Louise501

Louise501 Boxer Insane

Wow, lot of tips there, thanks! I also shave my legs with hair conditioner, it's much easier and makes them lovely and soft :)

3. Roscoesmommy

No problem!! I'm just glad I can share the only amount of expertise I have. I am not very versed in many things, so I am glad to help!! :)

4. mguiette

mguiette Boxer Insane

I have used Jergens Natural Glow (the palest one, of course). :) I work at a dermatologist's office, so NO TANNING BEDS here!!!! I'm very fair, but tan easily. i feel like a vampire working here, though-- sunblock, sunblock, sunblock!! everyday, under makeup! the best anti-aging secret ever! i've heard the L'Oreal one Roscoesmommy mentioned is about the same as the Jergens.
    You do need to scrub before using tanners-- elbows, knees, etc like roscoesmommy said too. :) you can also use a chemical exfoliant like a glycolic, just make sure it's not too abrasive, especially if you are sensitive like me.
    The only other option i haven't tried is airbrush tanning--- not like MysticTan or something where the machine sprays you, but an actual person does, so they can do "contouring." it's NICE.... they can give you more definition on your abs, legs, etc. they also have better control of the spray than the auto-beds. with that too, though, it can be tricky. avg. cost here in the US for a good one is $30 a pop for once a week. if they use a higher grade/better quality tan solution, there's no orange look to it. :) i'll have to give it a try and let y'all know. :)

5. TossBranAbi

TossBranAbi Boxer Insane

I am a redhead so I am pretty pale myself. I have accepted it and don't worry about being tan anymore. I have tried the sunless tanners but always had bad luck with them. I did go to a tanning bed a couple of times before my proms but I know how nasty those are for you and won't go back. I did go to a salon and had the mist stuff sprayed on, it looked ok but didn't last long enough to justify getting it done.
    Maybe this year I will try to Jergens Natural Glow, I have heard good things about it. I can't stand to lay out and bake myself either although the sun does wonders for my achy back so I do tend to have a bit more color on my backside than the front ;) Of course I don't let it become noticeable. For being a redhead, I think I tan pretty good. I still have a visible tan line where my watch and swimsuit straps go just from being in the pool last summer.

I dunno, how good are the sunless tanners for your skin? I can't imagine they would be healthy since it is full of chemicals.

6. Louise501

Louise501 Boxer Insane

I have one of those salons here but I don't fancy somebody actually spraying my bits and bobs :eek: I used to have a sunbed at home but never used it, so it's gone now.

7. Roscoesmommy

:LOL: I like the bits and bobs...never heard that one before :LOL:

8. Britbox

Britbox Boxer Insane

My skin is the bane of my life..I'm light hair and very pale skin, I don't tan, just go really red..I've also had very radical surgery for skin cancer, so I have to be really careful with the sun, and since I was diagnosed, I've developed polymorphic light eruption, which makes me ultra sensitive to the sun (St Thomas's hospital in London offered me £££'s to test my bum with artificial sunlight, as an aid to a cure, but I declined, as the blisters are too painful!!),But of course I want to look brown and glamorous..I managed to fend off the caribbean sun last year With factor 50 sun block, but I got a good tan with Johnson's holiday skin lotion, and Piz Buin self tan, nobody new the difference!, and I was brown for two weeks, without anybody spraying my bits while I wore paper knickers, and tried to hide my fat body :LOL:

9. catcrazy56

catcrazy56 Boxer Insane

Great tips I always end up with orange palms!!! Although I tan good I always like to use these in April and May, last year I tried a spray on tan and my bathroom was orange from overspray I don't think I will try that again.

10. tugger

tugger Super Boxer

I have used Jergens the last couple summers. It is great. The biggest tip is to make sure u wash your hands good. I use it all year round a couple times a week on my face. I dont need to wear makeup then. The damage I did to my skin the 60s and 70s is here to stay. With the knowledge we have now I opt out for fake tans. I still like the tan look. You know the saying "Tan fat is better than WHITE fat!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.